Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Don't know where the main ground cable goes...

scidhuv

City
Halmstad
State
Non-US
Country
Sweden
What I Drive
2000 Ford Fiesta mk4 1.25 Zetec-S
Hello Fiesta people!

I've inherited a Dutch 2000 Fiesta mk4, 1.25 Zetec-S and usually do some simple work on it.
Came the time where the head gasket needed replacing and I went and bought myself a hoist to get the engine out and everything.
Went well, everything is back together now and waiting for a new set of filters and fluids so I can start it up.
Save for one minor detail, I can't seem to remember, find on the car, or find in any of the manuals where the main ground cable goes!
I feel like a noob now, could use a hint :D

It's the thickest cable in the middle, one of the other's is on the frame (to the right of the battery in one of the photos).
Anyone that knows where to look?

Cheers,
Bas

Attachments

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
1653650159919.png

The Cable in the Hand is worth two on the shelf...

The green arrow points to the cable that mounts to the ENGINE block - that uses a bolt that fits the hole and is on a corner or an edge so more than likely it fits on the bolts that attach the motor to the motor mount - at the motor side or the transmission to engine block bolts - there should be a missing or pretty clean spot for that notch / flange to fit against - so look for it on the engine and it's not far from the starter nor the battery - so there's only a few bolts that it can fit with.

The Yellow (Amber) arrow shows you have FRAME ground point ok, your main Ground to Engine Block cable is the one you need to find it's "mate"

• Best way to do this...
  • Locate the large loom of wire that heads back to the engine - the Cable follows this.
  • Then as you weave - thread (like a needle and thread) the cable back down towards the engine
  • - the length of cable then provides the hint as to where the attaching post/bolt resides.
  • There are only so many bolts in and around the area of the cable length where it stops.
  • - the cable may even fold or twist into position right by the location it came from.
    • many cables; to help with replacement in the service shops - the cable has itself left untwisted and routed in their "build jig" being the OEM place the cable was made (the Relaxed state) - they then orient the lug and battery post to the proper angles so the stress points of twist are not present - this is to prevent the engine vibration and motor mount movement from stretching and eventually flexing the copper stranded cable and cause it to break or shear off
  • - there is either an "Ear" or Hole and Notch - that this cable fits flush and into - you just need to mount it there.

Last edited:
OP
S

scidhuv

City
Halmstad
State
Non-US
Country
Sweden
What I Drive
2000 Ford Fiesta mk4 1.25 Zetec-S
Thread Starter #3
Thank you for your reply, that is exactly what I thought and looked for but so far have been unable to find.
I just needed the assurance that it needs to go on the engine somewhere, now I will find it!