Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Considering a Fiesta SE, but somewhat scared by all the negative press

larry5b6

City
Cotuit
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Miata, 2005 Impreza
I'm in the market for a subcompact that can be flat towed behind a motorhome, and the Fiesta seems like the nicest one out there. But I've read some real horror stories about the automatic transmission (needed for spousal reasons), and reliability in general. From what I've seen the powershift transmission debacle spans the range 2011-2016, but it's not clear to me what happened in 2017. I know there's a 7th generation Fiesta, but depending upon what source I read, that may or not have ever been sold in the USA (where I am).

So my question is, is the transmission in the 2017+ something new, or is it the old powershift with a few more patches on it? Should I consider a nice used 2017 with an automatic, or would I be asking for trouble? And how will general reliability compare to something like the (much more boring) Honda Fit.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The DPS6' that have the later updates seem to be ok. There were several software updates and also material spec revisions to seals and the clutch packs. The later ones i have driven feel less quirky. The main thing to keep in mind is that it's an automated manual transmission. So, you should drive it like you are in a bit of a hurry. Or just less tentative with throttle and brake. The slight jerkiness as you reverse it is normal behavior. I wouldn't have any issue with a Powershift transmission fiesta that has had all the updates and the extended warranty. Especially if the work was done since 2018.
The Fiesta is a great pick for a (toad) drag along car!
There are only a few little things that are preventive maintenance related that owners need to be aware of that are inexpensive and preemptive in nature. Our forums contain all of this information.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I plan to be hauling a Fiesta with me to Florida in a few years!
It ticks off almost all of my "must have" features and also has good driving dynamics, relatively low cost of ownership and although a subjective opinion, i believe that the styling will age well. I don't know if it is in the same category as the Mini Cooper or Vw Beetle. But, certainly has a similar level of acceptance in Europe to the VW Golf/Rabbit and the ubiquitous Fiat 500.
I still feel pretty good about my 2011. The aspect of the car that is becoming increasingly dated is the audio head unit.
I will do something about that within a year. I really like the tablet screen audio head units i see in so many vehicles now. It is the only feature of the mk8 Fiesta that I lust for.

Last edited: