Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

CAI

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
This is the ST200 intake, identical to the mountune, other than plastic vs. aluminum. Can this piece be put into a base Fiesta? The airboxes appear to be very similar.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Looks like a straight fit. I don't recall seeing anywhere that those dimensions change from S to SE to ST or along the years of this chassis configuration....but YMMV. Just wondering what you're trying to accomplish adding a new box with a hose. Just adding a hose to the box you have would be way simpler....right? And it would fit.

I am looking to add this flange and a hose on the headlight side of my stock airbox. Just a bit more air volume. I realize the filter can only flow so much, so other than deleting the filter, this is about all I can and am willing to do.

1615565785682.png

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
What diameter of hose flange? Is that something that we can get at Speedway motors or Summit Racing?

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
What diameter of hose flange? Is that something that we can get at Speedway motors or Racer Parts Wholesale?
"Spectre’s Intake Tube/Duct Mounting Plate allows an air filter with a 3 inch inlet or a 3 inch intake tube or coupler to be mounted directly to any flat surface such as an inner fenderwell or radiator support to bring cool air into the intake. Featuring a universal design, this intake tube mounting plate is constructed using ABS plastic. This product may require drilling additional holes in some applications." Speedway has it. Looks like RPW doesn't.

OP
econoboxrocks

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Thread Starter #5
Looks like a straight fit. I don't recall seeing anywhere that those dimensions change from S to SE to ST or along the years of this chassis configuration....but YMMV. Just wondering what you're trying to accomplish adding a new box with a hose. Just adding a hose to the box you have would be way simpler....right? And it would fit.

I am looking to add this flange and a hose on the headlight side of my stock airbox. Just a bit more air volume. I realize the filter can only flow so much, so other than deleting the filter, this is about all I can and am willing to do.

View attachment 4721
I was just wondering if it would fit the base Fiesta. Adding a hose to the stock box would do the same thing.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I was just wondering if it would fit the base Fiesta. Adding a hose to the stock box would do the same thing.
Hoping to pull my SE airbox out, tomorrow, to suss out if that flange will work. Stay tuned....[wrenchin]

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
"Spectre’s Intake Tube/Duct Mounting Plate allows an air filter with a 3 inch inlet or a 3 inch intake tube or coupler to be mounted directly to any flat surface such as an inner fenderwell or radiator support to bring cool air into the intake. Featuring a universal design, this intake tube mounting plate is constructed using ABS plastic. This product may require drilling additional holes in some applications." Speedway has it. Looks like RPW doesn't.
I have the lower part of a Fiesta airbox. I will do that upgrade at some point this summer. The lid and AF sensor was toast from a crash.
Are you going to pitch the baffle (im guessing that it's purpose) that is fitted into the airbox? I don't think that its good for anything related to airflow. 20210312_171522.jpg

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Funny how this came up - I had done something like this earlier....

That "baffle" (Director?) seems to want to bring more of the dirt in the air to the filter.

1615601562987.png

It literally routes the air thru the snorkel from outside in the cowl - thru the tube piped into this baffle or director. No swirl or redirect method used except to pipe direct.

I don't mind having a way to route air but this method doesn't give the owner a provision to develop a plenum concept. Dirt, dust sand and grit kicked up from driving brings this right to the filter media - plugging it up faster than letting the dust and grit settle out in the bottom of the airbox.

1615601781951.png

Arrows in the above show where water spots and salt - debris, collected in the tube. The photo is recent, but the tube was taken out over 6 months ago.

Your photo is comparable in showing similar water spotting and dirt collection in the tube.

IN the above photo - the right opening is outflow - the one that redirects the airflow from the box entry snorkel - upwards to the filter and media - so to see the "pressurization effects" and how it can bring up the debris, is why I took this director out - to save the media from being "caked" in dirt.

To find water and salt stains from only one year of driving was enough to convince me that I had to rethink the preservation of the vehicle.

In normal use - this dirt would normally fall off or shake loose while driving, acting like a boiling motion, only slowly - air with the dirt would rise up then the heavier dirt and dust sand and grains precipitate down into the bottom of the air box thru vibration and settling with time, but in certain instances, the media can get wet and this dirt and stuff simply adheres to the media.

It's seem counterintuitive to think that "ram air" is the best method, well, it can work - but you need to provide a deceleration of that air so it can deposit the sediment off the airstream before the pressure front can force that debris into the media. Slow down the velocity of the pressure by allowing the expansion of air into the chamber - allowing the sediments to precipitate out - the change in volume decelerates the air giving the larger particulates a change to fall out but doesn't change the pressure that brought it in. Adds to the plenum effect.

It just seems smarter to remove the internal baffle. Takes away a potential problem of shoving dirt into the filter and shortening it's life - during the life cycle that filter can be checked and removed / changed as needed and you can then look for the debris that would otherwise have rammed into the filter media - would sit in the bottom of the airbox. As a usual practice, it is a needed step, remove the airbox cap, take out the filter and tap the media to shake loose the debris it trapped - let's you see the dirt, and examine the filter for changing as necessary.

I took out he director to take a course of action to keep the unavoidable problem of loose debris that is picked up by the airflow vacuum caused by acceleration from reducing the effectiveness of the media - it is not in the filter - it just rests on the bottom in the airbox canister.

That way you can remove the lower airbox canister on a regular basis and just shake it out like you do with a vacuum canister.

I've done it now for over 6 months - no detrimental effects and I do go over the vehicle once I get it back from an oil change - per the wife.

For Educational Purposes Only.
Efforts to defeat emissions places the responsibility onto the operator not the Dealer.
Understand and adhere to Warranty and Maintenance as required in order to keep and maintain warranty.
This Site, and Poster, cannot be held for damages incurred thru improper use and neglect.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I regularly take a shop vac to the airbox. The sand, bug corpses and leaf debris is always impressive.
I am going to make a deflector or more accurately a diffuser for the opening of the tube into the airbox.
Probably put some hardware screen over the external inlet. That should keep butterflies, leaves and birds from going into the filter.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Engine Performance 18
R Engine Performance 0