Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Brake upgrade for an SE

City
St Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'14 SE Sedan
Is there a kit out there to convert my drums to disc or is it even possible?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
My experience led me to use Hawk brand front pads. I chose Hawk yellows #HWKHB668Z-567F.
They are a ceramic compound pad. For autocross and light track use they were the best compromise for me.
I had previously tried their blue pad set #HWKHB668-567F. That one was a carbon/ferro compound that had a lot more bite.
You don't mention why you want to change brakes.
You really need to sit down and think about what you want to achieve by making a change. High performance brake pads are not a minor change. Some versions are very rough on the rotors. Others have undesirable noise or cold temperature behaviors until they are warmed up a bit.
Going to an ST rear axle, propositioning valve and E brake cables would get you rear disc brakes. But the basic Fiesta really doesn't need them. The only advantage with rear disc brakes would be they're easy to service. I have both SE and an ST. Frankly, huge brake upgrades to either one is at the very bottom of my list of "must do's".

Last edited:
City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
I feel like even with the heavier sedan, the brakes are pretty good. I would invest in better tires first.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I'll pipe in, here. He just bought the stock wheels from my ST. They look great on his car, and have the right sized tires. It would just look better with discs on the back, and with the better grip, they'd be a nice upgrade.
You can't really make a base engine car faster, but you can make it corner and stop better. I think that's the idea.

City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
I don't think you'll notice the difference when driving on the street. Rear discs aren't going to be any better than drums for the occasional panic stop. It's when you get on a track and start braking hard over and over that drums fade and become less powerful. If you're driving like that on the street... well, let's hope you aren't.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I don't think you'll notice the difference when driving on the street. Rear discs aren't going to be any better than drums for the occasional panic stop. It's when you get on a track and start braking hard over and over that drums fade and become less powerful. If you're driving like that on the street... well, let's hope you aren't.
You're correct. You wouldn't notice much difference in daily driving.

With ST wheels and discs on the back, I suspect that stopping distance would yield a net improvement on anything other than a snowy road.

City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
I'm not sure what the weight of the ST wheels are, but I'm assuming they are heavier than the 15 or 16" wheels on the standard cars. Wheel weight is a big factor is stopping ability. Also, the ST has upgraded front brakes as well, and they were designed as a system, so unless you are upgrading both front and rear brakes, or know what your are doing, you could throw the balance of the car off.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I'm not sure what the weight of the ST wheels are, but I'm assuming they are heavier than the 15 or 16" wheels on the standard cars. Wheel weight is a big factor is stopping ability. Also, the ST has upgraded front brakes as well, and they were designed as a system, so unless you are upgrading both front and rear brakes, or know what your are doing, you could throw the balance of the car off.
I weighed several of the ST wheels i have. Roughly 22.5 LBS each. They might look cool but they are quite a lump to hang on each corner. In comparison, i have 15X7 OZ Ultraleggera on my 2011 that weigh just about HALF of the ST wheels. They are the definition of feather light.
As far as aesthetics go. I always paint the drums semi gloss black. It makes the brake drums almost invisible and stops the inevitable rust stains on the wheels from raw cast iron.

OP
Rowdy09
City
St Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'14 SE Sedan
Thread Starter #11
I weighed several of the ST wheels i have. Roughly 22.5 LBS each. They might look cool but they are quite a lump to hang on each corner. In comparison, i have 15X7 OZ Ultraleggera on my 2011 that weigh just about HALF of the ST wheels. They are the definition of feather light.
As far as aesthetics go. I always paint the drums semi gloss black. It makes the brake drums almost invisible and stops the inevitable rust stains on the wheels from raw cast iron.
That is prolly what I will end up doing. Reading what you all have said it seems best to just paint and be done with it

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Nice car!

I have a 2018 - Ford Fiesta SE one in Black, but have "aluminum Spoke" wheels...

Have Disc on Front, but Drum on Rear...

The "original" Gloss Enamel black does not stay on well...so I tried verious methods and used some simple spray paints.

One word to help - don't make it a glossy finish, wont look right - I'll leave it at that...

IT works better to view if you use a matte or semi-gloss to take the shine off of it so it looks more natural.

Tried various textures to find the right trade off.

Gun Metal - although ok, may not look right to the "black" you have in the rim

So I tried different shades of metalflake and texture paints.

One time I painted those Drums Dip-RED (a nice matte finish) to tickle my wife's desire for "Hallmark Channel" and the "red pickup" - but didn't last long. Not too many people have a sense of humor like my wife has...

So switched to this...
1604532468710.png
...excuse the dirt - it does enjoy playing in it...

The matte wears well and since it's a common paint color - and texture - seems to mesh well with the tradeoff of color and shine.

Your mileage may vary...considerably...

Last edited:
OP
Rowdy09
City
St Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'14 SE Sedan
Thread Starter #14
Nice car!

I have a 2018 - Ford Fiesta SE one in Black, but have "aluminum Spoke" wheels...

Have Disc on Front, but Drum on Rear...

The "original" Gloss Enamel black does not stay on well...so I tried verious methods and used some simple spray paints.

One word to help - don't make it a glossy finish, wont look right - I'll leave it at that...

IT works better to view if you use a matte or semi-gloss to take the shine off of it so it looks more natural.

Tried various textures to find the right trade off.

Gun Metal - although ok, may not look right to the "black" you have in the rim

So I tried different shades of metalflake and texture paints.

One time I painted those Drums Dip-RED (a nice matte finish) to tickle my wife's desire for "Hallmark Channel" and the "red pickup" - but didn't last long. Not too many people have a sense of humor like my wife has...

So switched to this...
View attachment 4278
...excuse the dirt - it does enjoy playing in it...

The matte wears well and since it's a common paint color - and texture - seems to mesh well with the tradeoff of color and shine.

Your mileage may vary...considerably...
Well thank you! I have turned it from stock and it had slowly turned into very modified look wise. Nothing mechanically.

I do like the look you have in the picture. Silver has crossed my mind but don't want the dummies' to stick out to much

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Well thank you! I have turned it from stock and it had slowly turned into very modified look wise. Nothing mechanically.

I do like the look you have in the picture. Silver has crossed my mind but don't want the dummies' to stick out to much
I can't recall what firm supplies SCCA B-Spec. But i think they ran a more aggressive pad/shoe compound. If i were so inclined, i would go with that solution before i spent the coin on changing to all disc brakes. Rear drums get no respect. No respect at all. They are the Rodney Dangerfield of car parts!
I do 99% of the maintenance of my cars. I really like having things clean and nice! I always carefully prime and paint the cast metal parts, brake friction surfaces excluded.

Last edited:

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I replaced the stock wheels with wheels that weigh 18.4 lbs. according to Tire Rack. I felt a difference just turning out of the parking lot.

I plan to replace my current tires with slightly taller tires once they're worn out. They weigh about a lb. more. No rub on stock suspension.