Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many data buses do our cars have and what is known about them?

Hello all,

I've had my FiST for a few months now and I'm beginning to get a bit antsy about the MFT system's quirks. I had hoped that Sync 3 might be a "bolt-in" thing where I could just order some parts intended for a 2016 and go, but the little I've been able to find about that seems to indicate its not that simple.

With that in mind, I want to start playing around with overriding or replacing parts of the system. To do that I need to hook my PC up to whatever data bus(es) the parts I want to mess with use and get to work reverse engineering their interactions. I've done this before on my I-Bus based BMW E46, but there was a lot of partial documentation to use as a base and the interesting bus was readily accessible to a cheap adapter at many places around the car.

Is anyone aware of any good documentation for whatever bus(es) the comfort and entertainment systems may use? If it's all CAN will one of my ELM327-based adapters likely do the trick or should I invest in something else? I've been contemplating picking up a CAN shield for my Arduino already, so if this gives me a reason to do so I probably will. Is the right bus exposed on the OBD2 port or is that a limited connection that wouldn't be useful for this?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Sorry nobody has offered any help. It has been some time but there was someone working on this, we talked about accessing the audio processor to change the factory tune by adding an EQ or making the one buried in the system option to us, enabling the back up camera, etc....which may of been on the thread or via PM....have not heard anything more since:(

OP
W
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the response but I think you may have misinterpreted my goals. I'm not looking to unlock any features that may be hidden or locked in the system (though I'm certainly not against that and would gladly support any efforts to do so in any way I could), I'm just looking to figure out and document as much as I can about how the MFT system interacts with the rest of the vehicle to determine how much of it I can rip out and replace while still keeping the features I want.

Personally I couldn't care less about any of the "entertainment" features, I was already prepared to replace those entirely, its everything else MFT interacts with that I'm interested in.

Man, I'm super interested to hear of any progress in this regard. The Sync v2 system I got in my 2015 is a huge disappointment. Slow, poor UX, and less capable than systems w/out MyTouch screens. I hope to one day be able to update to something (Anything!) with Android Auto support.