Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2019 Ford Fiesta SE starting problems

City
Harrisville
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback
Hello all,
My Fiesta first had a starting issue when I left it at the airport in Phoenix AZ in November for 2 weeks, came back and it wouldn't start. I jump started it then and it worked fine after that. I had the battery and alternator checked a few days later and was told both were fine. I had the same issue after bringing it home from an oil/ filter change in early January, jump started it and had inspected again, no issues. I just moved up to Salt Lake City, UT and it's much colder here. It ran and started fine for the first week here, but now it's repeating the same issues from last time.
It clicks and the dash light flicker fast, but no start. Any ideas? I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks,
Chris

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Auto or Manual Transmission?

Refer to "In" Park versus Clutch Pedal all the way down...

Push to Start or Key?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would be getting the battery load tested. The original equipment battery is only just adequate. There also may be a parasitic drain in either the entertainment or anti theft system. They never really totally "shut down", they just "go dark".

OP
C
City
Harrisville
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
Auto or Manual Transmission?

Refer to "In" Park versus Clutch Pedal all the way down...

Push to Start or Key?
It's automatic with a key to start

OP
C
City
Harrisville
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
I would be getting the battery load tested. The original equipment battery is only just adequate. There also may be a parasitic drain in either the entertainment or anti theft system. They never really totally "shut down", they just "go dark".
any thoughts about a relay/ fuse?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
There are several things to prevent starting of the car - and then to simply "jump start" tells me something "brought the battery back".

Let's look at this from a checklist of "If I were an Electron"

Obviously, wires provide the easiest path for power (the electron) to flow, but once they get somewhere, they need a means to provide work.

That means two things, a connection to the device - and the device itself to do the work.

So, if you can supply power all the time, the circuit is complete, and the Electron can fulfill its duties to provide work.

Back to the issue of "Starting".

The battery has two terminals - one ground for the Electron - the one terminal as a Positive for the electron to go "to" - but in order to do that, it has to complete a circuit thru a wire - the device - and have a means to return home. This means connections.

Your Battery has the red terminal block with a cover for the post of the battery and has an "adapter" that uses a bolt to tie it to the wiring harness - a connection - both the vehicles need for electrical power and the way the vehicles recharges power - thru an Alternator use this block - they keep the two separated, so the Alternator has the lowest - least path of resistance for those Electrons to do their job. to get back to the Positive terminal - at that same time - they also feed into the connection going to the vehicle to help power it's needs.

1643731566968.png
1643732278522.png
1643731729905.png
1643732010969.png
Since you can jump start and everything seems to work, tells me you have a problem with that red post cover - it uses the (EDIT IN:)Terminal BOLT to connect the Terminal block which has the Alternator and Starter cable to the Battery Post (like an adapter) together - bolting both to tie it to the battery post and also to feed power from it to the vehicle - even when the engine is not running - start there and look for loose or even corroded connections at the RED post and also do the same for the Battery Negative post.

It is my fear, something has come loose in the above system

Last edited:
OP
C
City
Harrisville
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
There are several things to prevent starting of the car - and then to simply "jump start" tells me something "brought the battery back".

Obviously, wires provide the easiest path for power (the electron) to flow, but once they get somewhere, they need a means to provide work.

That means two things, a connection to the device - and the device itself to do the work.

So, if you can supply power all the time, the circuit is complete, and the Electron can fulfill its duties to provide work.

The battery has two terminals - one ground for the Electron - the one terminal as a Positive for the electron to go "to" - but in order to do that, it has to complete a circuit thru a wire - the device - and have a means to return home. This means connections.

Your Battery has the red terminal block with a cover for the post of the battery and has an "adapter" that uses a bolt to tie it to the wiring harness - a connection - both the vehicles need for electrical power and the way the vehicles recharges power - thru an Alternator use this block - they keep the two separated, so the Alternator has the lowest - least path of resistance for those Electrons to do their job. to get back to the Positive terminal - at that same time - they also feed into the connection going to the vehicle to help power it's needs.

Since you can jump start and everything seems to work, tells me you have a problem with that red post cover - it uses the both to tie it to the battery post and also to feed power from it to the vehicle - even when the engine is not running - start there and look for loose or even corroded connections at the RED post and also do the same for the Battery Negative post.

Thanks Andy, I'll check these things out tomorrow and let you know if I'm successful.

OP
C
City
Harrisville
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8

Since you can jump start and everything seems to work, tells me you have a problem with that red post cover - it uses the both to tie it to the battery post and also to feed power from it to the vehicle - even when the engine is not running - start there and look for loose or even corroded connections at the RED post and also do the same for the Battery Negative post.

I looked at the above as you mentioned and checked terminals. Then jump started it and drove it for about 30-40 minutes. Shut it off a few times and restarted with no issues. I will check it again shortly.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
A simple 1/4" ratchet with a couple of deep-well metric sockets like 10mm 11mm 12mm and 13mm really help with this.

Those fuses are fusible links - you can also see where there are several push-in terminal clips and bolts on the terminal block for various systems and like mine - ability to add on an extra wire (or two) for circuits and devices using the lugs on that block for the power access point.