Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2017 fiesta SE click clack noise from front left

City
Santa clarita
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta SE Sedan
I have a 2017 Ford Fiesta SE. lately when down shifting at low speeds mainly here it coming up to a stop sign. I get a click clack noise ( sounds more like ball bearings clanking together or metal balls). I have looked at everything. Checked the trans fluid. Everything looks good. I have no clue what it is. About ready to take it to the dealer and see if it’s a warranty issue

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Potentially? Possible a bearing - Front wheel - but inside (towards transaxle) or outboard (Hub/Wheel side) hard to say - don't rule out CV joint "slop" that happens as slack is taken up in the CV shaft as the engine braking works against the spin and torque of the slowing down.. It is a 2017. over 75K miles (you didn't say) I'd be looking into bearings and hub issues along with brakes and rotors.

An inspection at a dealer could do this, for free? Not sure unless it was purchased there and you have a long standing working relationship with them - else a more dedicated front end work shop (Read Drive train and transmission) might give you a better second opinion and you can make choices from there.

OP
G
City
Santa clarita
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
Potentially? Possible a bearing - Front wheel - but inside (towards transaxle) or outboard (Hub/Wheel side) hard to say - don't rule out CV joint "slop" that happens as slack is taken up in the CV shaft as the engine braking works against the spin and torque of the slowing down.. It is a 2017. over 75K miles (you didn't say) I'd be looking into bearings and hub issues along with brakes and rotors.

An inspection at a dealer could do this, for free? Not sure unless it was purchased there and you have a long standing working relationship with them - else a more dedicated front end work shop (Read Drive train and transmission) might give you a better second opinion and you can make choices from there.
It has 32k miles. And I’m taking it to the dealer as it still has the factory power train warrenty

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
32K miles and clicking - let me know how that turns out.

I hope they honor the warranty.

Just don't get pulled into having an expensive repair without a second opinion - because I do not know how warranty issues go with your dealer, but with the one I bought mine from - has not been "stellar" - just "bare bones" and to be blunt - we pay a lot up front for inspections - only to have simple repairs - on a chronic problem until it escalated into "lemon law" levels - which then they finally relented to help offer to pay to fix the problem in full replacement. Even afterwards, I've had to "tweak" the vehicle to keep the symptom from recurring. It pays to keep an eye, ear; every one of your other senses - alert, to small changes in performance in your vehicle - for they can signal larger $$$ in repairs later if not addressed or even mentioned during the dealer visits.

It's partly the reason I post what I know to help you and others, so that what did happen to me, doesn't becomes a thorn in your side as well.

There is a lot of information out here in this forum base - that also ties into other users that have had similar issues and even other Forums can provide information you're looking for - which you can generate an overall picture of how services can vary by State, Region and even Dealers - that; may, or may not, stand by their product they sell.

City
BERKLEY
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 SES HB
If I can ask, does it change tone or volume when the wheel is turned in either direction, or under load in a corner? Mostly curious, but I've had CV joints change volume and tone in corners.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
I have a 2017 Ford Fiesta SE. lately when down shifting at low speeds mainly here it coming up to a stop sign. I get a click clack noise ( sounds more like ball bearings clanking together or metal balls). I have looked at everything. Checked the trans fluid. Everything looks good. I have no clue what it is. About ready to take it to the dealer and see if it’s a warranty issue
Outboard CV joint failing?

OP
G
City
Santa clarita
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
I don’t here it when turning. Only when shifting from drive to reverse. It sounds like bearings. I’m taking it in tomorrow to get it checked out being it still has the power train warrenty

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I don’t here it when turning. Only when shifting from drive to reverse. It sounds like bearings. I’m taking it in tomorrow to get it checked out being it still has the power train warrenty
That could be from the transmission itself - Manual or DCS?

Keep us posted.

OP
G
City
Santa clarita
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9