Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2016 Ford Fiesta ST Oil Reset Problem

stbird

City
Conowingo
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Ford F250
My son has a 2016 Ford Fiesta ST with manual transmission and push button start. I changed his oil and followed the directions in his manual to reset his oil monitor but nothing happens. As the manual says, I hit the push button start for 2 seconds and then pushed the brake and throttle at the same time and held them down but I don't see any indication that the reset occurred. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Steve

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Well, the indicator lights on the Dash - also need to come on - like your going into IGN mode.

In the US, turn to ACC first, both pedals to the Floor - then turn to the IGN - needs to be on, but not started

When you don't hit the Brake, it may think you just want ACC...

So, then in that case,

Try this link...

https://resetservicelight.com/reset-oil-service-light-ford-fiesta/

Read Thru, apparently the Push to Start ones, needs you to be...

Both pedals to the FLOOR then bring up ACC and HOLD down BRAKE and THROTTLE for 20 seconds - then ACC to off.(START pressed for STOP) Forces the CLEAR condition - then release pedals - or it may need to have you Release pedals after holding down for 20 seconds - following the same procedure, but keep ACC ON to allow time for the CLEAR condition to occur (ECM needs power on for this)

1609604138716.png

That's their method - see if it works.

The condition here is to make the vehicle "see" a different "start condition" than normal - being Key present, and ACC or IGN off, both pedals off

- your usual start up - the typical - key or press, then Brake or Clutch engage that lets the vehicle do a start-up routine of starter to crank crank signal - check Engine condition and once engine starts begin run sequence. One pedal, Brake or Clutch - are pressed.

The effort here is to press and hold both the throttle and Brake down - then the car sees that condition and re-sets the light(s)

OP
S

stbird

City
Conowingo
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Ford F250
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, I will give it a try. The Fiesta manual says hold push button for 2 seconds. This says hit it quickly. That may be the trick.

OP
S

stbird

City
Conowingo
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Ford F250
Thread Starter #4
Didn't work. I tried pushing the brake and accelerator before hitting the button and after hitting the button. I hear clicking in the dash but never get a message that the reset is occurring or is completed. I have 2 other Ford's and have never had a problem. Strange.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
This guy did it for 30 seconds, and it worked. Some people have done it just right, and it still didn't work, though.
I've got 22,000, and it's never come on. I'm pretty obsessive about oil changes from new. Keeping the oil clean during break in helps the turbo bearings (and all the other bearings, too) find their happy place for a long service life.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Here's another video. This guy said it didn't work until he tried doing it while the other dash lights were still on.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Curious...

Is your "Dash symbol" a "WRENCH" or something else?

OP
S

stbird

City
Conowingo
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Ford F250
Thread Starter #8
We change the oil every 5,000 miles so the wrench wasn't illuminated. On my other Ford's when you press the gas and break and hold it for a couple seconds a message pops up on the dash that says "oil reset underway" and then after 20 seconds or so it says "oil reset completed". Maybe the Fiesta's don't do it that way. Neither of the videos showed any sort of message, just the wrench went away. Thanks for the videos! Steve