Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2016 Ford Fiesta SE won't start!?

KiMse16

City
Fontana
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta SE
It just happened couple days ago! I'm trying to get exact details of what kid did.🤔
Basically, 13yo sitting in car possibly fiddling with air conditioning, or any key controls & radio on a hot day. DiDn'T StArT AfTeR ThAt & battery died!
She might have fiddled too much with keys or controls, but it killed the battery & doesn't wanna start.
*Jump☇ didn't work; PER tow truck!
**Took batt to get tested at Auto Zone & charged, check🖒. Not fob controlled, and alarm key worked after recharge!
**With the batt recharged there was electrical function & accessories, but was not cranking or turning over!
*** WHAT FUSES DO I TEST?
*** HOW DO I TEST STARTER, without removing?
*** Could it have tripped the ECU that needs to be reset?
*** Car has stock/factory alarm w/valet!🤔

Simple troubleshooting! Trying to help my neighbor out! She works HARD & deserves the help!
TIA!😎💀🔧

EDIT: I used an Actron OBD2 code reader & am showing 5 codes:
P0688-ECM/COM Power Relay Sense Circuit
P0882-TCM Power Input Signal Low
P2872-?
P287A-?
P0608- Control Module VSS Output A Malfunction

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The things got several "layers" - My Key is one of them - especially if they tried to play with that menu.

You'll need one of their unmolested keys to act as Supervisor, so the other key can be reset in it's presence in the car if My Key Function - a Menu option has been played with.

Other issues are dealing with Relay and Fuses - You have to pull and check to make sure they didn't blow any - replace them if so - even make sure they are put back in the correct places - even in side past the Glove box if they spent a lot of time in there. Relays are there too - also make sure all relays are SEATED in their sockets.

Start Inhibit is one delicate one to be playing with it's the one in the front engine compartment.

But also there is the battery terminal (red covered one for positive) is a set of "buss" fuses that are "bolt in" types.
1630411463339.png

IF they had tried to start the car, you might need to check these "BUSS" style fuses that run off - from the Red Cover Terminal. There is a tab for a flat blade screwdriver to pry the tab so you can lift the cover straight off - exposing the fuse links - if they are blown you may need to replace that battery terminal as one unit - it's not cheap . But it prevents your car from starting - even though the main charging/Starting cable is ok , won't engage the solenoid if the other fuse links are blown to protect from drive offs.

That is a worse case scenario but it is also one you can check easily enough to see if they are intact. IF they didn't put all the cables back tight, heres your answer - a loose unclipped cable connector or bolt can make your day.

Otherwise you'll have to locate the other Fuse block locations - one in the engine and one behind the glove box - for more blown fuses or pulled relays.

Last edited:
OP
K

KiMse16

City
Fontana
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
I was JUST about to test relays, fuses, & starter this morning, but the owner had already contacted the dealership & it was only the "valet lock" on the alarm. IT STARTED RIGHT UP!

TY Handy Andy for reply!
Case closed!🖒

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I've only used a valet once since I got the car. Sat for 3 days. Didn't even think about it.
Then again, no kid has ever sat in my car and played with the buttons.
That's riskier. :LOL:

Glad you got it sorted out!
As you can see, this is a great forum for learning about the car.

Last edited: