Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2016 fiesta transmission issues

Hinsonator

City
Gardena
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 focus
Hey everyone, I have a 2016 fiesta. I left my dashcam on and it drained the battery. After jumping it, it starts fine but displays a message saying “transmission malfunction: service now” and appears to be in limp mode as it won’t go very fast and revs high. I have unplugged the battery to try and reset the computer but the message continues to be displayed. I read that when the battery dies it could damage the TCM and it would need to be replaced. I also read it may be under a manufactures extended warranty. However the build date for my car is 03/2016 which didn’t fall within the extended warranty coverage I saw on some articles. Hoping to get some advice on how to go about fixing this?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would remove the battery, or at least disconnect both terminals and then give the battery a deep charge at a low rate overnight.
Given the age of the car, the original battery should be just about shot. If it has the original battery.
If the battery is newer than the car, it could still be junk. The demands of the electrical system on the rather under capacity battery make for a short and hard life.
If the battery can be fully recharged, i would clean up the terminals, reconnect it and see what you get.
I would then put about 25 miles on the car and stop at an Autozone , NAPA or other parts store that can do a load test on the battery. That drive should pull down the surface charge of the battery and allow the test equipment to see its true capacity.
Almost every function on the Fiesta requires a clean, consistant supply of electricity. Even if the electrical signal power is of a very low value, it is not tolerant of spikes or drops in signal power.