Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2014 Fiesta will not start, shift out of park

Gutling

City
Franklin
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta ST
I am trying to help my friend with her 2014 Ford Fiesta, automatic.
It currently does not start, or even attempt to. Good battery, starter, no obvious problems. While checking it out I also noticed it will not shift out of park. Fuses/relays all good, no stored dtcs. I am thinking whatever is not detecting brake depressed to let out of park is also not letting it start. Has anyone had this issue, with any direction to look? Thank you!

Handy Andy

Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
On top of, the fact that the Brake light assembly - the one that turns on your brake light, may not be working right...

It has two switches, one for Brake, the other for the PCM / Idle up / Hill assist (if so equipped) to help knock down the idle so it doesn't make the car creep ahead.

Then there is the Neutral Safety switch that is on the Tranny housing - I own a manual so I can't help you find it using mine as a template.

But there are threads out here that can help you locate and maybe fix those switches - see this thread...

https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/manual-transmission-clutch-problem.7865/post-18121

Near the bottom of the posts is a brake assembly pulled - showing two switches - one blue one Black - those are the "aspect" ones I'm referring to. If you look more closely in the photo you'll see two "paddles" off and below to the right, on a flange that operate the plungers - which as you apply the brake these plungers change position and turn on (or off) and activate the Brake light and tell the PCM to knock down the A/T or idle so it doesn't over-rev or pull you into the intersection while stopped.

IF one has been pulled or popped off, the system won't start.

OP
G

Gutling

City
Franklin
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta ST
Thread Starter #4
The brake lights do work, I got under dash and check there as well. I noticed there was two switches, im assuming one for brake lights and the other for start/park disengage. I got wiring diagram to check the other switch. Wont have time this evening but will tomorrow, so if I dont find a cure ill update with any new information. I do have a forscan dongle and laptop so hopefully can see the actual activation/disengage of park lock

Handy Andy

Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
If you can't even get it to crank - START signal - then the KEY and or the lock may be damaged or the wiring to it has been cut - this happens when someone tries to "Joy ride" without permissions. .so don't be surprised at finding more than one thing wrong.

To help, the Console (Center) should show a change is status when you attempt to "start" - if you can switch the key to run, and it lights up the Dash, you're halfway - the "Start" needs to work in order to force the solenoid to engage the starter and turn the motor over.

So if you can get it to "light up" but not start, then either the PARK switch is broken or the parking PAWL that takes up the park (locks the transmission) may not be fully engaged. There is a small indentation on the PRND2L shifter base side panel pull that panel off, get access to the "pink" lever - that if you can pry that over to one side, the shifter can then be pulled into Neutral and you can try to start it from there.

1616629002832.png

In the above scenario - they want you to turn off the ignition...
IF you do, you will encounter a LOCKOUT - this is to keep the
shifter from going into another gear if it's parked.

If the LOCKOUT solenoid is not properly engaged, damaged or binding
- this can prevent you from pulling it out of park...
This can also prevent the engine from getting started because it is unable to be properly placed in PARK.​