Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2014 1.0 sport engine failure

Sea View

City
Kinross
State
WA
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta Sport 1.0
Hi just wondering if anyone can shine any light on why this has happened or if anyone else has had a similar experience….

Basically oil light came on and car cut out completely before even having a chance to pull over safely. Full uptodate service history by ford (last major one 10 mths ago which cost $940), very low mileage 74000kms total and less then 6000 since last service. No prior indication of any problems, I.e no white smoke, oil or coolant leaks visible where car is parked. Diagnosis and photos attached, but so confused about how this could of happened out of the blue. Any advice or help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
My amateur guess: It overheated and the head warped. Did the broken coolant tank cause it? Probably.

OP
S

Sea View

City
Kinross
State
WA
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta Sport 1.0
Thread Starter #3
My amateur guess: It overheated and the head warped. Did the broken coolant tank cause it? Probably.
Thank you for your reply. Would a coolant tank just break like this with such low mileage and excellent service record? Or are we just unlucky?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Thank you for your reply. Would a coolant tank just break like this with such low mileage and excellent service record? Or are we just unlucky?
That tank is a known weak point. I don't know how much coolant was lost, but enough can definitely fry the engine. Did the temp go up before it died?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I currently have a 1.6L Normally Aspirated (NA) motor - but uses the same coolant tank - but in the tank I have - I do not need to use all the ports...

1645666411024.png

The above is a brand-new coolant tank - note that it uses 3 ports.

IN my vehicle I only need two - the 3rd one, on the apex (tip of triangle shape) the bottom port is "capped off"

But it's due to that it is non-turboed...
Mine looks like this...
1645666777575.png
It's sad to see these motors get a bad rap - but the hose fitting itself appears to be broke, like an object hit it or it got pulled / torqued off - but that can be from something getting caught in the serpentine belts and getting thrown into the engine compartment - which this hose crosses over the belts travel axis so I would think this would be an unlucky moment in time.

These coolant tanks are one of the most fragile Achillies heels of the Fiesta - so you're not alone in this - we've learned many lessons from this vehicle.

Age related or not, the use of all three ports for the radiator coolant routes are only on some of the Fiesta line.

In the photos you supplied, thanks for letting us see their diagnostics in action - you'll see the 2nd plug is carboned up - means that is right by the water pumps outlet housing that holds the thermostat so that is where the warping began, lost compression and fouled out

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
My amateur guess is that it broke while you were driving it. It didn't lose a lot of fluid right away, but it was losing it pretty quickly in a short period of time.
You didn't notice it and neither did the car, until it did, and shut itself down.
Then it sat there, way overheated, with no way to cool off. That engine is toast.

Either replace the engine (and you don't need a new one) or get what you can for it and get another car.

OP
S

Sea View

City
Kinross
State
WA
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta Sport 1.0
Thread Starter #7
Thank you both so much for the reply and information. It’s my mums car and she said the temp light flickered on and off just before it stopped altogether. We are lucky it didn’t happen on the freeway. She has been quoted $11400 for a new engine and even though she paid $1200 for an extended warranty, it will only pay $3000 towards it. She only purchased the car for $8500 less then 3 years ago. We have had no luck so far with a used engine as most garages consider the fiesta a ‘throw away car‘ and not worth it. Sadly it looks like my mums days of owning a car are over, she’s 81 and was hoping that that car would see her driving days out.
Very grateful for your replies, good to have a probable explanation of how it happened, thank you

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
She has been quoted $11400 for a new engine
Hmmm, may not be so bad.

The motor itself is still workable - most of the time the cylinder head needs machining and a new gasket. They can re-sell that type of motor for a big markup to cover any costs of repair machining and otherwise.

But that DOES NOT mean you can't get another USED motor from another totaled vehicle (like got rear ended and totaled out the car due to damages) but still have a working motor in it. They may not offer a replacement warranty but if you can get another USED motor that still makes the vehicle viable for mom.

I know the feeling about how this can devastate someone whom depends on reliable transportation. I've had to walk to get help many many times myself due to unforeseen events - Deer, ICE and Snow - Drunk drivers - it's amazing I'm still alive after some of the wrecks I've been in - funny thing is, I didn't cause any of the wrecks that totaled out my vehicles - all been from someone else or something that ran into it.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The coolant supply to the engine is gone within two minutes at freeway speeds. That is if the reservoir is only cracked/ split. If one of the ports is broken off you probably would need a stopwatch to time how quickly the system drains!
Mountune and Mishimoto had both offered an aluminum reservoir to address the issue. Now only the Mishimoto choice is available. Their product has an NHRA required port for an overflow tank. I have no problem with the added port. These are about $200 retail at various speed shop's around the country. 19b3a152e68cdaa628c79039dddbf946_960x.jpg