Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2013 Ford Fiesta ticking sound, lagging throttle response, low power output after TCM replacement

Alex

City
Fort Myers
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta
Hey Everybody,

Back in March our 2013 Fiesta was electrically dead. It would not start. Turned out to be the Transmission Control Module (TCM), and was replaced by Ford under warranty at 108k miles. Great! Right?

We haven't driven much since the pandemic, but some problems developed immediately after, and have gotten worse.

I first noticed a lag in throttle response--almost like the engine couldn't breathe in air... I had to hold the peddle to the floor in order to get the car up and going. Normally the car is peppy from a dead stop. It also lags when cruising down a flat road, even at 50mph. I feel like I really have to step on it in order to maintain speed, all the while the transmission is skipping around with the gears.... It's driving like crap.

Around this time it began making a ticking sound from somewhere around the engine compartment. Could it be an exhaust leak? Or a rocker sound getting louder? Not sure! I visually looked it over and can't locate the sound by eye.

Also, when driving at steady speed on a flat road, the engine seems to sputter every few seconds. It's as if it misfires or something.... Maybe the transmission is slipping?

All of these problems seem to be getting worse day by day...

I plugged in my cheap OBD-II scanner and got no codes! No information! Nothing....

I called Ford and they offered to look over the TCM replacement that was done (appointment set for tomorrow morning). They said it sounded like a transmission problem, which is not under warranty anymore, which also meant they were going to charge me even look at it. Really? This car has had a HISTORY or problems with the transmission, and has been reprogrammed by Ford 3 times since we have had it, and maybe more before. :(

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the cause of these problems may be? Is it the TCM? Or how to go about getting it evaluated and repaired? If it is something as simple as changing spark plugs and wires I would be happy to just do that myself. But I am afraid this is a much deeper problem.... :/

Thank you.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Hello. I think you might have a vehicle speed sensor that is failing. The TCM depends on a reliable signal regarding throttle position and road speed.
Did your Fiesta also get a new clutch and seals when the TCM was replaced?
If you are not able to get an OBD MiL code or even a pending code, I would be inclined to think that the issue is either in the controller or the vss or tps signals that the controller is receiving. If the engine were misfiring you would have a MiL triggered for it. As it is, you have reduced power. In a nutshell, the causation of this issue could be a poor signal from the sensors to the TCM. There may be no problem with the TCM. If a ground is bad, there may be no problem with a sensor. This needs to be diagnosed by a trained technician who is familiar with the transaxle.
You mentioned that the Fiesta had the TCM replacement in 2013 at 108k. Is that the only work that was ever done on the transaxle? There have been several upgrades and parts specifications and materials changes since early 2013!

OP
A

Alex

City
Fort Myers
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta
Thread Starter #3
Hello. I think you might have a vehicle speed sensor that is failing. The TCM depends on a reliable signal regarding throttle position and road speed.
Did your Fiesta also get a new clutch and seals when the TCM was replaced?
If you are not able to get an OBD MiL code or even a pending code, I would be inclined to think that the issue is either in the controller or the vss or tps signals that the controller is receiving. If the engine were misfiring you would have a MiL triggered for it. As it is, you have reduced power. In a nutshell, the causation of this issue could be a poor signal from the sensors to the TCM. There may be no problem with the TCM. If a ground is bad, there may be no problem with a sensor. This needs to be diagnosed by a trained technician who is familiar with the transaxle.
You mentioned that the Fiesta had the TCM replacement in 2013 at 108k. Is that the only work that was ever done on the transaxle? There have been several upgrades and parts specifications and materials changes since early 2013!
Sorry for the confusion, but the TCM was replaced in 2020. The model car is 2013. The odometer is currently at 109k miles. We just had it done.

Other work done was reprogramming (early 2017), then clutch replacement (in late 2017), and now TCM replacement in 2020.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Ok. Good luck with that.

OP
A

Alex

City
Fort Myers
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta
Thread Starter #5
Ford is telling me the clutch is failing again...