Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2011 Fiesta SES

Tpope

City
Jasper
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SES
Hey all, I've had my car since 2016 and have just had general maintenance. It started last year, but every time I take it to a shop there are NO codes relating to the engine at all and it runs fine. On start up SOMETIMES, its not even guaranteed, it will slightly hesitate to start, then fire up fine. It will either start at < 1k RPM or go to 1200 then come back to 1000. When this occurs its on the first start of the day. I have had my Spark plugs replaced and timing belt done in October. I took it to a shop in January and they cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body, and they stated both were dirty. I do not have a Check Engine light on. The shop today only found codes related to the SYNC system. I'm leaving it overnight on Sunday to hopefully replicate the issue on Monday. Any insight would be helpful

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
How old is your battery? This car is vulnerable to corrosion on the battery and the grounds.

OP
T

Tpope

City
Jasper
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SES
Thread Starter #3
How old is your battery? This car is vulnerable to corrosion on the battery and the grounds.
Its only a year old, that was the first thing I checked as well. The terminals are in good condition

OP
T

Tpope

City
Jasper
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SES
Thread Starter #4
You think it could be an EGR valve issue? But then wouldnt the CLE light show up?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Its only a year old, that was the first thing I checked as well. The terminals are in good condition
There's a ground, too. It's bolted on over the paint, and sometimes it gets a little janky. Here's a video that explains the issue and the fix. Fast forward as needed.

OP
T

Tpope

City
Jasper
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SES
Thread Starter #6
Oh gosh, thank you. I will take a look
There's a ground, too. It's bolted on over the paint, and sometimes it gets a little janky. Here's a video that explains the issue and the fix. Fast forward as needed.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Another possibility? (You guys put up with me so well...)

Look at getting the Throttle body cleaned - this may be a sign the system is thinking time to "seek" for proper mixture - so if the fuel used was dirty or poor grade - this might indicate time to buy a fuel system cleaner and look into cleaning the throttle body bore from blow-by and old dried oil and trapped sediment (yes sediment from air - pollen grains, fly ash, pulverized pavement and tire rubber) - things that are smaller than the micronic media (Air filter) can trap, gets trapped by the oil film left behind in the intake from the fuel residues and detergents - along with PCV crankcase vapors coating the intake - and that stuff collects on it.

Seeking is a term used in automotive for a type of condition of "trim" or "training" - the system is trying to relearn the right mixture for fuel to air, and when it's cold then warm then cold - the system is smart enough to trim mixture on the fly and you never notice - but in some cases like water and contaminates in the fuel - the mixture it senses is not lining up with what it "knows" to use - so it has to try different things to see if it has something wrong or it's just a bad fuel or water in it.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
There's a video for that, too. Looks easy enough.