Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2011 Fiesta SE Manual trans fluid change

City
lawrenceville
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hatchback, w/ manual
I am trying to replace my transmission fluid and am not sure about the drain bolt, I have read other threads, looked for manuals with no clear answer, I did see a picture with what I believe is their drain bolt out, but some people say that there is only one bolt to drain and fill. The fill bolt is clearly the black hex bit, but i belive the rusted bolt under might be the drain bolt, I will leave a picture, any information is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
I do not have stick in my Fiesta...but I have had many sticks. That is likely the plug for the fill and set fluid level. Fluid level is likely up to the bottom of the hole....fill until it comes out of the hole and replace the plug. The drain plug must be at the lowest point of the gearbox....probably looks just like the filler plug. Others will chime in, too.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
The drain plug is under the plastic cover for the shift cables.
The filler plug is at the left rear of the transmission case. Its easier to see and remove if you pull out the battery and the protective plastic box it sets into. The plug has a retainer pin that you must remove first.

OP
C
City
lawrenceville
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
Scotsman, is the lower of the two bolts the drain bolt, I thought the black one was the fill bolt for checking the level, and the one under could possibly be the drain plug? Thank you!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
Yup. I did new output shaft seals a couple of years ago. I dont recall if it was a 10m or 8 m hex required to get it out.in any case i have found that the entire amount of fluid wont just run out on its own. So, 2 quarts of the proper spec synthetic gear oil is enough to be safe. If you have the battery and the plastic surround removed, you should still be able to see some fluid pooled in the case if you have a strong flashlight.
When I last did the seals, i didn't bother to pull out the lower plug. It was a pointess hassle for a known "mostly empty" case.
If you have a leak of gear oil, the culprit is most likely to be the output shaft seals. At 4$ each (or less) their primary task is holding in about $50 worth of gear oil! So, do the math, guy's. Do seals when you change the gear oil.
This is an extra seal i keep on hand "just in case".
National #710798. 20211113_105648.jpg

Last edited:
OP
C
City
lawrenceville
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
Thank you Scotman!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
Did everything go ok ? I wish that I would have done a gear oil change sooner than when the right output shaft seal had failed.
The filler plug was very difficult to remove after 9 years in place.
Otherwise it was a piece of cake.

OP
C
City
lawrenceville
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8
I still have not done it yet, I was waiting for my vocational school instructor, he said he would find the manual before doing it to be safe, he went to ford over Christmas and came back with nothing. He’s telling me to just return the fluid but I will probably just do it on my own.

OP
C
City
lawrenceville
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9
Did everything go ok ? I wish that I would have done a gear oil change sooner than when the right output shaft seal had failed.
The filler plug was very difficult to remove after 9 years in place.
Otherwise it was a piece of cake.
Finally did it! went good besides not being able to collect the oil well, doing it on the floor was a bit of a pain but I managed. I lifted the back of the car to get more oil out too, It shifts like almost brand new now. Thank you for your help!