Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2010 Titanium Radio/Sync Question

DPG

City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2010 Fiesta Titanium
Hi All,

I've a 2010 Titanium which has the radio unit (and screen) shown in the pic below.

radio.jpg

The car has one cigarette lighter power socket (currently taken up by insurer's black box) and one Aux USD port. It also has Bluetooth.

My issue is that whether connecting my iPhone (XR) by Aux or Bluetooth, the car always wants to play music from it, and the phone's music app will automatically either come on or if I've paused the music or closed the music app (i.e. if I only want to hear Apple maps or Google maps as a navigator) will constantly either unpause the music or even keep reopening the app and playing it when I don't want it.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a solution for this, because aside from it being absolutely infuriating, for some reason I cannot get the map apps spoken volume and music volume to match, so either have it where the music is fine and the map like a whisper, or the map is fine and the music blows my eardrums out.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The iPhone or Android phone you have, woudl have several options in the Volume setting - not just a "main one" unless the app that the volume is set for - is currently running.

So you'll have to turn Bluetooth off when the phone is in there, else it will sense and sync to it right away.

Also look in your phone media - the settings - under sounds and vibration you'll see Ringtone Media Notifications System

There are a series of slide bars - you should be able to control the volume to the
Bluetooth by using Media - then the Bluetooth only sees a given volume from your phones output.

As far as Googles output - if it comes from the phone - then remember the phones media versus notifications one will override the other. If you find Google uses Media output too, which doesn't make sense for the apps would have similar volume - else it is using another "port" and that will take some adjustments for you to figure out which slide bar affects Google and which affects the Music (Media)

OP
D

DPG

City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2010 Fiesta Titanium
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

My phone is an iPhone XR and in the "sounds &haptics" settings, the only slidebar is for the ringtone/alerts volume and nothing else, unfortunately.

I've turned off bluetooth when in the car now, but even connected through USB (the Aux port) the car/phone still insists on playing the phones music automatically. If I can stop that happening, I can simply increase the car's volume and the Google directions will be louder. But can't do that until am sure music won't come on by itself and be at a million decibels!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You'll have to instruct the Phone when it connects to the USB port, it is for charging only - it then should treat the USB port as charging only from the Sync side.

When you go into SYNC settings - Applications - you may need to "Delete" the apps that the system has found and wants to continue using - do this when the phone is not hooked up - and you should be able to delete the apps.

Then as possible - you can enable Bluetooth and then let the phone begin to talk to SYNC - but as a "Hands free" device.

Then instruct your phones USB port to Charge only - so it (Sync) doesn't see a treasure trove of stuff to gobble up and try to turn on - when you hook up the charging cable.

Now, there are Charging only cables - so if you can find one that is specific for charging only - this too - also helps force the Sync process to quit playing with your phone because none of the other "data and communication network" lines are able to be accessed.

It (Sync) has forced me to turn off BT - and just keep the phone isolated and make outgoing calls using it's speakerphone - too many other problems. You can't explain away an accident because you're fighting with your phone over contentions and volume control issues. So if I want to listen to music, it's either "RADIO" or MEDIA - but I use a USB Stick in UDF format to play my music files.

Karaoke anyone?

OP
D

DPG

City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2010 Fiesta Titanium
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the above, Andy!

I've scoured the phone and not found any settings to manage what it does when connected. Similarly (and in a way, even more annoyingly), the car has zero settings of any kind for anything other than the EQ of the music.

A charge-only USB cable is a good idea as a work around, using the phone speaker for directions, and as you say, fiddling around trying to close the music app while having a crash isn't going to fly with the insurers or people you're crashing into.

One last ditch idea i've had which I'm going to try is taking all the music on the phone out of the Apple Music app (but leaving the app in place) and putting it into a different app altogether. I've the faintest of hopes that this may "trick" the car into starting up the Apple Music which won't play anything because there's nothing there to play, and letting me use the speakers for navigating. Will report back, if it works!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
There should be at least one additional USB port on the back of the audio head unit. You can just get a usb extension cable. This one goes into the hard drive and isn’t for charging or powering up anything.
I don’t believe that there is any sort of work around that gets generation one Sync to play music from Apple CarPlay application.
Gen 1 Sync will play music files on thumb drive, no problem.
Apple and Microsoft are the tech equivalent of oil and water. Sync 3 is a whole different thing. Apple devices are not compatible with generation one Sync as far as applications are concerned.
My 2011 Fiesta with the gen one Sync totally ignored my Apple IPhone. It also didn’t recognize my last company supplied,cheap android phone.