Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2008 Front Shock Replacement - Boot Fixing Clip Problem

macdoni

City
Woking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2008 Fiesta Style
Hi,
I'm replacing the shocks on a 2008 model. The original shocks have a plastic collar on the top of the shock body which the bottom of the dust boot clips onto. All of the replacement shocks I've seen have a pressed metal cap where the plastic collar is on the originals. The pressed metal collar is a different diameter to the original plastic cap so the boot isn't secured. The plastic collar doesn't fit over the top of the pressed metal cap either.
Have the shocks been upgraded at some stage with a revised boot? Can't find any info anywhere....

Cheers in advance

Attachments

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
What brand? Motorcraft?

What I have been seeing when they have the older boot - they use a friction tape around the metal cap - to act as a gasket and the boot itself is slid over and zip tied.

That plastic cover sleeve should have fit - so my concern is the length of the rod inside if the coil, rod and mount are the right set?

Got a pic of the box all this came in?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Macdoni, If you are replacing Ford original dampers with Ford brand replacement parts, all of the ancillary original parts should fit onto the new damper. If you scroll down to the threads that discuss the install process of both the Koni STrT and Bilstien B6 you can see pictures of the difference between Ford bits and the aftermarket parts. There are some differences that are significant enough that you might want to do some test fitting and make sure that you can fit some of the bump stops and piston shields onto your new dampers.