Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Perspective Buyer

Major disappointment that Race Red is no longer available for the Fiesta ST.

Second choice is White Platinum but at the cost of $595

I'm also considering a Focus ST ST2 and VW GTI either S or SE.

Last turbo car was '03 SRT-4 w/Stage 3R and '05 Quaife LSD

Ran 12's on the stock turbo, 23" tall M&H slicks (spike and hold 16 psi)

Never had a chance to run Stage 3, long story.

That is my thing, drag racing and I like racing FWD cars. Likely will try Streets of Willow, etc.

About 55% sure this is what I will be getting around July/August 2016.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Good stuff.. A FYI none of your potential purchases will run 12's on a stock turbo. The srt truly was in a class of its own

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
I appreciate the correction, thank you.

Good stuff.. A FYI none of your potential purchases will run 12's on a stock turbo. The srt truly was in a class of its own
You sure about that?

GIAC's own DSG 2015 GTI -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXoMufg8kTo

Tyler's DSG Mk7 GTI runs 11's -

https://www.goapr.com/news/2015/12/...i-stock-turbo-quarter-mile-record-11-8114-25/

There's some mirroring in the GTI and Focus ST community that has to do with the new generation of owners. Both believe that VW and Ford products are somewhat unreliable and want to mitigated that as much as possible various ways, not driving the car at the track, not using slick race oriented tires, waiting for warranties to expire so they can get a tune, upgrade the turbo, change the exhaust, etc.

Another factor with the Focus ST is that the Ford Performance community is still heavily influenced by the Mustang GT. In other words, the Fiesta ST and Focus ST are commuter cars for owners of heavily modified Mustangs.

That said there are a couple of 12 second stock turbo Focus ST's -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45BxuKTd2bQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahjTv-yE1qA

The Fiesta will run 12's, any of the cars trapping at 103-104 will do that. My best trap was 12.78@104.7 in the SRT-4, it wasn't especially suited for drag racing, that's a myth.

One thing in the favor of the Fiesta is that a 23" tall M&H slick works on the car. Russ @DHK ran 13's with a tune only, why couldn't a ST run 12's with bolt-on's and a tune?

When my SRT-4 ran those numbers it put down 255hp/300ft of torque on a Dynopak, 16 psi spike and hold, S1 w/Super AFC tune. This was 2007-2008 the software to tune the stock PCM didn't exist quite yet.

The Fiesta ST is much lighter than the SRT-4 and with bolt-on's can put down similar numbers, all things being the equal a sub 2.0 60ft is all that's needed. My best 60ft was 1.74, nothing special just the slicks and the car had some lowering springs on it when I bought it. I didn't have the benefit of 2 step or what some around here call launch control, I just rev'ed it up to about 4-5K and punched it.

Never broke anything, wheel hop break things 1# reason not to race on radials.

I'm extremely confident I can get a Fiesta ST to match my personal best with the SRT-4. In-fact I can get either car to run 12's, not hard at all.

I just returned from Brazil so I have to pay down my credit cards, that's part of the reason it will be a few months before I can purchase one of these and trade-in my Accent.

twolf

A FiST with bolt ons and tune is not touching 255/300.

wheel hop break things 1# reason not to race on radials.

I don't know much about drag racing, radials = normal tires? I hear the term drag radials and slicks get tossed around. Do slicks need to be warmed up (burnout)?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Welcome Aboard.

Dave

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I appreciate the correction, thank you.

You sure about that?

GIAC's own DSG 2015 GTI -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXoMufg8kTo

Tyler's DSG Mk7 GTI runs 11's -

https://www.goapr.com/news/2015/12/...i-stock-turbo-quarter-mile-record-11-8114-25/

There's some mirroring in the GTI and Focus ST community that has to do with the new generation of owners. Both believe that VW and Ford products are somewhat unreliable and want to mitigated that as much as possible various ways, not driving the car at the track, not using slick race oriented tires, waiting for warranties to expire so they can get a tune, upgrade the turbo, change the exhaust, etc.

Another factor with the Focus ST is that the Ford Performance community is still heavily influenced by the Mustang GT. In other words, the Fiesta ST and Focus ST are commuter cars for owners of heavily modified Mustangs.

That said there are a couple of 12 second stock turbo Focus ST's -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45BxuKTd2bQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahjTv-yE1qA

The Fiesta will run 12's, any of the cars trapping at 103-104 will do that. My best trap was 12.78@104.7 in the SRT-4, it wasn't especially suited for drag racing, that's a myth.

One thing in the favor of the Fiesta is that a 23" tall M&H slick works on the car. Russ @DHK ran 13's with a tune only, why couldn't a ST run 12's with bolt-on's and a tune?

When my SRT-4 ran those numbers it put down 255hp/300ft of torque on a Dynopak, 16 psi spike and hold, S1 w/Super AFC tune. This was 2007-2008 the software to tune the stock PCM didn't exist quite yet.

The Fiesta ST is much lighter than the SRT-4 and with bolt-on's can put down similar numbers, all things being the equal a sub 2.0 60ft is all that's needed. My best 60ft was 1.74, nothing special just the slicks and the car had some lowering springs on it when I bought it. I didn't have the benefit of 2 step or what some around here call launch control, I just rev'ed it up to about 4-5K and punched it.

Never broke anything, wheel hop break things 1# reason not to race on radials.

I'm extremely confident I can get a Fiesta ST to match my personal best with the SRT-4. In-fact I can get either car to run 12's, not hard at all.

I just returned from Brazil so I have to pay down my credit cards, that's part of the reason it will be a few months before I can purchase one of these and trade-in my Accent.
My bad. I said that cars won't run 12's on stock turbo out of ignorance. I didn't know, but damn, cars keep getting faster and faster. Who would've thought a few bolt ons and tune, BAM 12's. Granted, the ST's running 12.9x is barely a 12, it's still a 12.

The fiesta won't do it with a stock turbo though and that's all but true. Fastest stock turbo recorded is 13.7
Sourskittle with his cyborg hybrid turbo 13.3 he might've been able to break high 12 with his new set up but looks like he's down for awhile

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club

I don't know much about drag racing, radials = normal tires? I hear the term drag radials and slicks get tossed around. Do slicks need to be warmed up (burnout)?
Radials are basically racing tires, have stiffer sidewall and can take a corner & that can be used on the street, They say not to (sometimes) but you can.
Slicks are soft and used for racing only.

OP
D
Thread Starter #9

In my experience M&H slicks need a mild burn out. I would do them in 2nd gear, it's harder on the clutch but it gets the tire compound hotter. Drag Radials, it depends on the level of prep. Good prep, lots of VHT, dry burn out is likely all that's need it since the tire works best in a specific temp range. Poor track prep, you may need to do a burnout after rolling through the water box.

Drag radials are a compromise, so I don't recommend them unless rules say otherwise. Hoosier Quick Time wrinkle wall bias ply tires are popular with C segment hot hatches like the GTI, but M&H does make a slick for 17" wheels, Buschur carries them primarily designed for AWD cars (EVO's especially) but they work on FWD cars just fine.

23" M&H slicks work perfectly on a Fiesta ST.

I didn't say a Fiesta would make 255 hp on the stock turbo. That said, Smoking Tire's Fiesta hit 240hp with a 100 octane tune, Stage 3 Cobb. Mountune MR230 makes 227 hp on a conservative tune and 91 octane fuel.

There a few other tricks that can be employed to get another 10-12 hp.

My bad. I said that cars won't run 12's on stock turbo out of ignorance. I didn't know, but damn, cars keep getting faster and faster. Who would've thought a few bolt ons and tune, BAM 12's. Granted, the ST's running 12.9x is barely a 12, it's still a 12.

The fiesta won't do it with a stock turbo though and that's all but true. Fastest stock turbo recorded is 13.7
Sourskittle with his cyborg hybrid turbo 13.3 he might've been able to break high 12 with his new set up but looks like he's down for awhile
Slicks alone will reduce is 60ft time by .5 or more which would reduce his ET by about 8 tenths. His car would have run a 12.9 with that trap speed, assuming he didn't miss a shift.

It might have run quicker than that because he can launch the car at a higher RPM on slicks, meaning every shift should be in the middle of torque peak.

Those factors alone tell me a stock turbo Fiesta ST can easily run 12's.

2006ser

Idk but I like this guys you seem like you what your up against cant wait to see what you can do with the fiesta st.

twolf

Slicks alone will reduce is 60ft time by .5 or more which would reduce his ET by about 8 tenths. His car would have run a 12.9 with that trap speed, assuming he didn't miss a shift.

It might have run quicker than that because he can launch the car at a higher RPM on slicks, meaning every shift should be in the middle of torque peak.

I'm confused. We had a 13.7 which is the stock turbo record. No slicks, trap speed of 102.5. 2.257 60 foot. That sounds like a low 13 second car based on what you've been saying, not a 12 second car.

We had one member run a 13.34 on a "Stock" (read, not stock) turbo without slicks and trap a 104.52. Do I doubt he could run 12s with slicks? not really. But he wasn't a stock turbo. He was a modified stock turbo.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
For the record, Cobbs TST dyno is one part fact, one part legend, and one part myth.

It probably could with a gear box that was designed for acceleration, in fact the 0-60 number should really be a hell of a lot quicker than it is

Last edited:

Ford Community Posts