Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Ford Fiesta TB Performance Torsion Bar

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
Big thanks to iso100 on FiestaSTForum.com for the review.

I purchased a TB Performance Torsion Bar recently and here's my install and notes.

The bar arrived via USPS and came with the actual bar, two 8-point 1/2" bolts, two lock nuts and four washers.

Here's the bar as I received it:

I noticed that while the bolts have an OD of 1/2", the cups in the end of the bar have an ID of 3/4". The idea I guess is that you crank on the bolt and it dishes the washer up into the 3/4" hole, centering things and applying constant pressure to avoid eventual squeaking, etc.

I was curious to see if I could find a bushing to fit both the bolt and the cup so I went to the local hardware store. Low and behold, I found a bronze bushing that was exactly 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD. They didn't just drop right in, but a simple C-clamp easily pressed them in. Additionally, since they were shorter than the cups I still have the area at the end for the washer to crush in slightly when mounting.

The bar, the bolt and the bronze bushing:

Pressing in the bushing:

Top side (when installed) of the cup and bushing:

Bottom:

Now for the install I went to a buddy's house (That's not my Raptor) because he has air tools and ramps.

All the parts laid out and ready to install. You'll also need a 19mm/3/4" wrench and deep socket:

The twist beam is already drilled, so luckily all you need to do is drop the bolts through.

I quickly discovered that with my modifications (the bushings) the tighter tolerances made it impossible to push the bar all the way to the bottom (top) of the bolts with my bare hands. I had to use a C-Clamp to convince it that it's possible:

With only one clamp, I had to work back and forth.

I finally got the bar pressed down enough to show threads. Then I broke out the air hammer and drove the nut all the way down using a 19mm deep socket and wrench on the other side.

Finally I used a torque wrench and tightened the nut to 90ft/lb.

Finished product:

Impressions? HOLY CRAP. The car is on rails now. Immediate turn-in and it corners completely flat now. I honestly didn't expect this kind of roll-stiffness improvement. Highly recommended mod.

The bar can be purchased here:
http://www.tbperformanceproducts.com/ford-fiesta.php