Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Brake pedal ABS feel / feedback?

S

Synergist

I've had my ST since the end of August and (fortunately) not had to do much strong braking in the poor weather we're experiencing at the moment. However, a few weeks ago I decided to test my stopping ability in the wet - and instead of the expected ABS shudder feedback through the brake pedal, it felt (and sounded) like I locked the front wheels and quickly cadence braked it to a stop.

I don't have any ABS failure lights on the dash and the Traction Control works as expected when pulling away. I was going slightly downhill and the road was damp, but I was very surprised that the vehicle went straight to locked wheels instead of an ABS assisted stop.

It's currently at the dealership having some work done on it anyway and I've asked them to make sure the ABS is working ok, but I wanted to know - does the ABS feel through the brake pedal differ in any way on this vehicle from other ABS-assisted cars, or is it a fairly standard vibration/shudder when it kicks in? (Is there a dash light which illuminates when ABS kicks in?)

Cheers!

OP
S

stuntdoogie

Thread Starter #2
what kinda of work are you having done to the car? is it just basic maintenance or something serious?

OP
R

rodmoe

Thread Starter #3
I had mine out today and there was a bit of snow and ice left from the overnight weather .. I was toying with my COBB tune and had TC off when I came into a corner a weee bit hot and tapped the brakes a little too aggressively and felt the typical brake pedal stutter for just a second .. This is the first time I have ever felt that but it is also the first time I was horsing around with TC full off and it being this cold... On a side not with the 91 Octane tune the tires had No chance for grip in the first 3 gears as it was cold and they are snowtires on pavement .. fun fun fun .... LOL

OP
S

Synergist

Thread Starter #4
what kinda of work are you having done to the car? is it just basic maintenance or something serious?
Basic this time around - airbox replacement (airflow rotary selector decided it was going to start choosing its own position ;) and I was a little concerned about the box crunching into first gear (higher resistance than it should be). I did ask them to check the ABS but I doubt they've done anything more than plug into the OBD port and run a diag.

I was considering treating myself to the Mountune 205 bhp kit but after conferring with a couple other Fez owners there's surprising gains to be had just from simpler upgrades like uprated filters, plus that's a lot cheaper - some experimenting to be done in the new year I think :D

I'm slightly concerned that I've not once experienced that classic ABS pedal feel even during sharp braking - the EBA works fine though. (compared to the regular 1.2 Zetec Fiesta I've been given as a courtesy car, the difference is like night and day...)

What compounds are you all using? Still have the factory compounds on and frankly their grip level is really disappointing. I'm considering either Vredestein, Uniroyal or something Scandinavian like Nokian on slightly smaller steels (are you using 16" or mounting on the factory rims?)

OP
R

rodmoe

Thread Starter #5
Uprated Filters what are you looking at ?
I am on 15 inch alloy wheels with ws60 Blizzaks I found cheap at the Tirerack store. they should last this season maybe more.. I tried to fit my Nokians on a set of SVT Focus Wheels but they were too tall at 205/50/17 and rubbed on full turn so I sold them and got these... The factory tires are ok for what they are but they are not the top of the line Sticky tires even from Bridgestone. But that's why they make more so we can upgrade ;)
looking forward to hearing more about these gains from better filters ...

OP
L

lessard.dcj

Thread Starter #6
I had mine out today and there was a bit of snow and ice left from the overnight weather .. I was toying with my COBB tune and had TC off when I came into a corner a weee bit hot and tapped the brakes a little too aggressively and felt the typical brake pedal stutter for just a second .. This is the first time I have ever felt that but it is also the first time I was horsing around with TC full off and it being this cold... On a side not with the 91 Octane tune the tires had No chance for grip in the first 3 gears as it was cold and they are snowtires on pavement .. fun fun fun .... LOL
turned track off the other night on damp pavement while goofing around with a Acura Integra, i have my blizzak 205/40/17 on and she lit up in 3rd like xmas. although i know that the fun driving of this car is going to rape my winter rubber. i have to control myself till next spring.

OP
L

lessard.dcj

Thread Starter #7
I've had my ST since the end of August and (fortunately) not had to do much strong braking in the poor weather we're experiencing at the moment. However, a few weeks ago I decided to test my stopping ability in the wet - and instead of the expected ABS shudder feedback through the brake pedal, it felt (and sounded) like I locked the front wheels and quickly cadence braked it to a stop.

I don't have any ABS failure lights on the dash and the Traction Control works as expected when pulling away. I was going slightly downhill and the road was damp, but I was very surprised that the vehicle went straight to locked wheels instead of an ABS assisted stop.

It's currently at the dealership having some work done on it anyway and I've asked them to make sure the ABS is working ok, but I wanted to know - does the ABS feel through the brake pedal differ in any way on this vehicle from other ABS-assisted cars, or is it a fairly standard vibration/shudder when it kicks in? (Is there a dash light which illuminates when ABS kicks in?)

Cheers!
as for the ABS as soon as we get some more snow ill try it out.

OP
R

rodmoe

Thread Starter #8
Just wait till you get lighter wheels as our tire dia is close I really need to be prudent( gosh I hate that word) with "FUN" driving too but if I wear out these old model Blizzaks I can opt for a newer model next year ;) shhh don't tell the budget committee.... [angel]

Last edited:
OP
L

lessard.dcj

Thread Starter #9
Just wait till you get lighter wheels as our tire dia is close I really need to be prudent( gosh I hate that word) with "FUN" driving too but if I wear out these old model Blizzaks I can opt for a newer model next year ;) shhh don't tell the budget committee.... [angel]
ok i wont [wink]

Last edited: