Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Ford Complaint center, and other fiesta issues.

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
Welcome to the community, we have a few former Fiesta owners that have recently upgraded to the STs so you're in good company.

What kind of complaints have you heard so far in the FisT? Or are you referring to the Fiesta in general?

R

robot

Thanks, MKVISIT. Yes, the complaints have been about the regular Fiesta. The biggest amount I've read has been about the transmission for the automatic. So glad I didn't get the auto. The big complaint about the stick is getting it into reverse, which can be difficult at times. And that's true and I had to find a method to overcome it. My brakes squeak but when I have them looked at, they say all is good, even the Ford dealer.

Other than that, for me, I really like the car. Oh, I had a rear shock go bad at 30,000 miles so I had both replaced. Again, not "bad" stuff and even when I look at similar small cars that are sporty, the ST still seems to rule.

rooSTer

Premium Account
The biggest amount I've read has been about the transmission for the automatic.
Does the regular Fiesta use the DCT too? I've read over on the Focus forums that they are having major issues with that transmission.

A

alexanderfreenote

Welcome to the community robot, we have a few former Fiesta owners that have recently upgraded to the STs so you're in good company.

What kind of complaints have you heard so far in the FisT? Or are you referring to the Fiesta in general?
Since you guys brought it up I think it may be a good time to let you know about my 11 fiesta se issues since brand new purchase.

The first thing that had me worried was the "wrench" light came on after 15 or 20,000km. By the time I took it in the light shut off and they didn't find any info on the computer. It happened a week later, took it in again and same thing, NOTHING. A few days later it came on while driving and I called my dealer and told them to have a bay open for me because I'm bringing the car in and if I shut it off the light will not come on for awhile again. They said OK bring her in and I did so. First they said it had something to do with my gas peddle, they replaced it. Week later the light comes on again, I take it in and then they said it's some pigtail wires for the gas pedal that they need to order. Part comes in, they replace it. No good, again the light comes on after 5000km. Take it in again and they said they need to investigate further and bring some pro in from somewhere. FINE, they do their thing and replace something do to with the air intake. NO GOOD again, light keeps coming on. By this time my warranty is done and I had to deal with the wrench light coming on and off randomly. To my surprise the wrench light stopped coming on BUT at around 75,000KM or so the engine light started to come on. I never took it in because the car still drove very well, and I'm not going to replace sensors since this car has been popping up lights from brand new. That's one issue, I get the engine light to this day.

My drivers seat POPPED while driving and the lumbar support was gone at like 20,000km or so. They replaced some spring in the seat and it felt good until it popped again around 60,000km just as my warranty expired, been driving around with a broken seat ever since.

The reverse issue I found a work around on the manual transmission by simply putting it in 1st before I put it in reverse. So say I want to reverse out of a parking spot, I would put it in 1st gear and then in reverse, no issues at all.

The rear drums always squeak, the fix for that is to get your breaks serviced regularly, a) they last longer, b) no more noise.

Generally speaking, I still like the car and nothing MAJOR is wrong with it!

She has over 160,000kms on it and I think she can do another 100,000km easy! Very reliable for sure.

L

lessard.dcj

My .02c on our 2011 SES,

Same issue with the reverse, grinds into sometimes. the answer we did is the same as noted above. 1st gear first then reverse.

we seem to be having a front suspension issue atm, where it will clunk over small sharp holes/bumps , but when i raised the car i couldnt find anything lose. (just hit me that it may be the shock).

Also when accelerating heavier than normal it feels like the clutch is slipping, kind of jerky in its delivery. 5 speed.

but love the little thing, wish it had outputs for an amp though.

R

robot

Wow, most people having that many problems would jump ship and go with another car brand. Sounds like you still enjoy the car though.

I've done the going into first gear before going into reverse and yet it still didn't at times. Now I just hold it into reverse stroke with a slight bit of pressure on the gear shift and soon as I start to release the clutch, then it pops right into reverse.

My brakes were looked at about 3 times about the squeaking and each time the tech said they're OK. Nothing needed to do.

No problem with the engine lights for me. They only come on when an engine maintenance is scheduled and then allow me to turn them off as the book says.

I love the rear seat fold-down on the sedan but the middle seatbelt won't retract now. Some day when I have time I will let the dealer take care of it.

Several years ago I had to drive in a bad ice storm. Ice covered everything and cars and trucks were slipping all over the place, but that Fiesta made me look like a pro the way it just stayed in line so well.

I won't be buying for at least a few months yet, but I should go test drive the ST.

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thread Starter #8
I'm glad that despite all the problems you guys are giving the Fiesta another shot. Seems every car is going to have their bugs, hopefully with the Fiesta being out for several years Ford has addressed most of the problems. I know when I test drove the Fiesta ST for the first time I was really impressed and have no problems ditching my Mini S for it.

R

robot

Makes you wonder though, the Fiesta was in use in Europe before it came to the states (at least that is how I remember it), so why aren't things caught sooner?

You're right, Ford better have the bugs out of it and when I test drive it, I will ask what Ford has done to resolve their Fiesta issues. If they give me some BS answer, I'll ask for someone who knows what they're talking about. It seems like all car brands want to hide their issues until it is so obvious that they are forced to. That is a bad way to do business.

R

rweidman

I traded my '11SES for the ST. I did have some problems with reverse but I just put in the clutch, shift it to neutral, let out the clutch, and put it in reverse. It is an old technique called double clutching that I do on my '72 Spitfire for second gear. I have to admit that the transmission in the ST is quite a bit better than the '11 SES. When the Hancooks O.E. tires started to wear down, I noticed a marked improvement in handling. I do miss the nicer ride and better MPG but the ST is such a unique car to drive, that I can not resist just getting in it and lightin' it up

A

alexanderfreenote

I'm glad that despite all the problems you guys are giving the Fiesta another shot. Seems every car is going to have their bugs, hopefully with the Fiesta being out for several years Ford has addressed most of the problems. I know when I test drove the Fiesta ST for the first time I was really impressed and have no problems ditching my Mini S for it.
The way I look at it is she is very reliable despite the issues I've encountered. She never left me stranded and she works very hard. Also, if the ST gives me similar problems, I will sell it back to the dealer (obviously at a loss) and buy another car. Simple really. I'm hoping the parts and build will be higher quality this time around.

R

robot

I traded my '11SES for the ST.
That's the exact situation I will be in. I assume they gave a decent break for the trade in and maybe took more off since you're buying another Ford within 5 years.

The Fiesta gets such good mileage, I won't mind getting less which will still be good considering what other cars get.

O

Old Pirate

Great information folks, I'm still waiting to hear/see more on the Fiesta ST from other's on the forum before I get my title out to sell my Mazda.

R

robot

Great information folks, I'm still waiting to hear/see more on the Fiesta ST from other's on the forum before I get my title out to sell my Mazda.
I heard so many good things about the Mazda Speed 3 but not sure what they're coming up with for 2014. For looks alone, I think the ST is real nice for what I'm looking for. The Miata had my interest but not enough to steer me to it for buying.

Like you I'll keep posted to this forum to keep on getting feedback on the owners of the ST. So far I like what is being said about it.

A

alexanderfreenote

hahaha I still remember the day I went to the service manager about the wrench light coming on. He took me to the lounge area and showed me a newspaper article of some guy who bought a F150 and the engine light came on after 65,000kms, right after his warranty expired. He (customer) didn't want to fix the problem and the article had a picture of the owner and the truck at 999,999kms. Then he said, "you see, a million kilometers, it's nothing, I wouldn't worry about it".

I caused complete chaos at my dealership, the service AND sales department. Customers were looking at me like "whoah"!. I was yelling DO NOT BUY FORD, THEY ONLY WANT YOUR MONEY, ONCE YOU BUY IT YOU ARE A NOBODY FOR THEM etc...

I was so angry one time about my engine light, I actually walked in to service, nobody was at the desk, I waited for 5 minutes. Then I picked up their employee phone, and started smashing it against the desk until the receptionist, service and sales manager came to calm me down. I was yelling and screaming the whole place came to a halt, even mechanics came out to see what's happening. Then I started blaming the mechanics for "fake" oil changes and abusing my car. The whole dealership knows me now as a crazy guy but really, I spent my hard earned money, so I don't care if they think I'm a nut!

I use to always break their balls about rental cars while my car is being serviced. One time they gave me an F150 as a rental and I went bonkers. I'm like "I bring in a Fiesta and you give me a truck?... I drive like 4000km per month so NO, I DO NOT WANT A TRUCK". I have so many stories about my dealership and the service I require in order to be their customer, it came to a point where they said they no longer want my business. Now we are all friends. LOL

Another time they gave me a fiesta as a rental. A police officer called the rental company to inform them that I was abusing their car and ripping it to shreds in downtown Toronto, pulling hand break at high speed and neutral dropping etc... The rental company called my dealership and passed the message along. Then the rental company called me and told me to return their car or else they will report it stolen. I was like, ok, I'll bring it back tomorrow. When I went to the rental company they said you are crazy and we will never rent you another car. I said, "if I was driving so bad, and a cop really called you, why didn't he pull me over and give me a ticket"?... he said I had a good point and will not put me in his "bad customer" list. To this day I'm wondering what was up with that... LOL

A

alexanderfreenote

lol. seriously though, if I was rich I probably wouldn't make too much of a fuss. But dude the car costs money and I work hard for it. I deal with the biggest idiots everyday, and I'm still professional with them. I never treat MY customers the way ford treated me, that's another reason I was so angry. If I was to treat my customers that way, I wouldn't have any. When you buy a car, everyone is all over you, smiles, friendly, ok sir, thank you sir, anytime sir, would you like something to drink or eat? Then when you come in for service they are like, "yeah, we are busy, it'll be around a 2 hour wait".

One time, when I went in for an oil change, my headlight went and I didn't notice, they called me and asked if I wanted to replace it. I said yes sure go ahead. Everything is fine, until I come back to replace an air filter a few months later, and the mechanic told me that my headlight is broken. I have a look, indeed it is broken, under the hood where the plastic cover connects to the frame. The idiot mechanic before who replaced my headlight BROKE it because he didn't know how to remove the cover. I had no proof so it's still like that, broken.

Word of advice, anytime you do any kind of service, be sure to look at it BEFORE you drive off the lot.

L

lessard.dcj

lol. seriously though, if I was rich I probably wouldn't make too much of a fuss. But dude the car costs money and I work hard for it. I deal with the biggest idiots everyday, and I'm still professional with them. I never treat MY customers the way ford treated me, that's another reason I was so angry. If I was to treat my customers that way, I wouldn't have any. When you buy a car, everyone is all over you, smiles, friendly, ok sir, thank you sir, anytime sir, would you like something to drink or eat? Then when you come in for service they are like, "yeah, we are busy, it'll be around a 2 hour wait".

One time, when I went in for an oil change, my headlight went and I didn't notice, they called me and asked if I wanted to replace it. I said yes sure go ahead. Everything is fine, until I come back to replace an air filter a few months later, and the mechanic told me that my headlight is broken. I have a look, indeed it is broken, under the hood where the plastic cover connects to the frame. The idiot mechanic before who replaced my headlight BROKE it because he didn't know how to remove the cover. I had no proof so it's still like that, broken.

Word of advice, anytime you do any kind of service, be sure to look at it BEFORE you drive off the lot.

Thats why I do all of my own maintenance. Unless its something that I cant do.

R

robot

alex, I hear ya. It's like the world has become one big 'How can I screw you today while looking honest.'

Crap, I know that everything can't work right all the time, but don't screw with me and be fair enough to be honest. It's like dishonesty has gotten into EVERY realm. I'm shocked now when people are ACTUALLY honest.

You're right, you work hard and all you want is to make things right.

C

CivicAssassin

I'm not sure if they changed anything on the MazdaSpeed3s, since I had my 2010. But, I just didn't like it. The powerband was too short (3k-5500rpm). It'd put you back into your seat, but it always felt like your short-shifting. Also, I didn't like how the first upgrades recommended were the fuel pump and changing the TMIC to a FMIC. Between the maxed out fuel pump (stock), and heatsoak from the TMIC, you'd often get boost cut. Made the car feel jerky as hell. Nothing like my FiST, that has a nice steady pull from 1500-7000rpm. Also, the damn MS3's tires would wear out fast as hell. At 20k miles, I needed 4 new ones. About 2in of the inside of each tire was bald, it didn't help that you could hardly take off from a stoplight, without spinning tires. All around, the 2010 MS3 felt like they just took a regular Mazda3 and added an appearance package, slight suspension upgrades, and slapped on a turbo with a TMIC. The FiST feels like a car that was designed from the floor for performance.

Last edited: