Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Test drove a ST over the weekend

A

ADAM@LIC

Lately I've been looking and reading up on the Fiesta ST, it's definitely sparked my interest and finally a local dealer got one in. I was able to go on Sat to take a look in person and got to test drive it unlike many manufactures with their sportier models. I own a shop that specializes in just Subaru, it's all I've owned and since 2000 I've owned 20+ of them. I love them and still have some and always will. Sitting in my shop I have a 1969 Subaru 360 van alongside my 2004 STi 600 whp Time Attack car. I as come up on my biz's 10 year anniversary I'm thinking of adding another make to what we do. The ST just seems like it would be fun again, back when I got my first Subaru a 1998 2.5RS in 2000. I want something fun, small that gets decent mileage that's not a Prius. My current 2006 Legacy GT gets 17 mpg which is sort of ridiculous for a daily driver. I test drove the only ST they had which was black, had nav and a sunroof. I've had plenty of black cars, they look great, but I just don't get around to washing them as often as I'd like. So I'm leaning towards white or silver and possibly splurging for Recaros even though I like that it's an option and not mandatory. Hopefully I follow thru as I already have a line on aftermarket parts and can see the potential these little pocket rockets have.

OP
R

rodmoe

Thread Starter #2
Dang them wheels look pretty with the red brake stopper thingys LOL. Hope you share this product line with us in good time too ;)

OP
L

lessard.dcj

Thread Starter #3
yes, please share. and how did you like the ST? ordered mine black with nav, no sunroof, and recaros are std equip here.

OP
A

ADAM@LIC

Thread Starter #4
No problem, hopefully we get the parts added to our website soon. Best of all they're companies we're familiar with and use on WRX and STi's. I liked the car it's pretty quick and seems to handle nice and firm without beating you up. Older STi's were over damped and rode very harsh which I never really liked. I know these cars are really tuned to run on 93 and around here we have crappy CA 91 and I wouldn't doubt the dealers fill them with 87 so there's probably still more potential even in stock form.

OP
L

lessard.dcj

Thread Starter #5
yes dealers put shit gas in em. thats why i told my dealer not to put gas in mine, instead they will give me 50$ gas card so i can put whatever i want in it. also told them not to wash the exterior, i dont want some 17 year old grinding dirt into my new paint by hand.[:(!]

OP
A

ADAM@LIC

Thread Starter #6
I remember reading that and actually had that in the back of my mind. I think that's why I want to order one that hasn't been filled, cleaned or test driven. This black one already had over 60 miles on it and they don't tell you to keep it under 4k rpm or only part throttle like I do with customers when I build a motor for them.

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
That's the exact same on I wanted but with the Recaros. How much are they asking? Any premiums over MSRP?

OP
A

ADAM@LIC

Thread Starter #11
So far they seem to be asking MSRP -$1,000 for Customer Cash program good till 9/30/13 from dealer stock. I'm talking to a buddy who work for an Infiniti dealership that has Ford in their network, hopefully he can swing a better deal. I was going to hold off on the sunroof, but seems like all the dealers ordered them with Rado wheels, Nav and sunroof. I don't want the painted wheels $375 upgrade since I'd change them anyway, especially now seeing that they weigh 22.5 lbs ;-)

OP
A

ADAM@LIC

Thread Starter #13
Thanks for the heads up, I'm using that as bargaining ;-) My Costco price wasn't as good, came up with $24,929 for a fully loaded one that's on the lot, apparently that's invoice.

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
What wheels are you looking to get?

I actually prefer the looks of the darker wheels and painted calipers, but will most likely swap out the wheels fairly soon after purchase.

OP
R

rodmoe

Thread Starter #15
Just got back from my Dealer after Driving a PB plain Jane no option car.. Seats were flat and adequate for a test drive in damp conditions. Car was very comfortable and OMG the noise and power this lil thing has anywhere over 1500 rpm.... I will NOT miss my FRS with this thing in the garage Shifting was OK the armrest wasn't too much of a bother only nudged it once and the shifts were rather long in the upper gears but ok for stock unit... Now the Gas and brakes WOW like I said it just pulls though redline seems to come quickly in the first 2 gears so does the legal speed limit .. And I was easy on the brakes most of the time but after a bit I must have thought I was in my truck and stepped hard on the peddle and got a closer look at the streering wheel (didn't touch it but it was closer than I needed to be) No real place to wring it out in the twisties as the sale guy was along in the back seat but its felt GOOD... now Ford just ship my car !! Oh the car had 22 miles on it and the wheels needed a bit of cleaning in my book as there was brake dust on them silver wheels :) lol can not wait....
On a side not I was looking at the wheel clearance and I am guessing my winter tire size of 205/50/17 will be a tight fit at best we shall see once I get my rims and my car..

OP
A

ADAM@LIC

Thread Starter #16
Not sure what wheels, I'm a fan of dark wheels too as seen on my LGT, also my truck has black wheels and same goes for my race car [:)] The only car I've ever owned that had stock wheels is probably my wife's Outback which will probably change when I take my wheels off my LGT to sell the car.

Glad to hear more positives about another test drive and especially coming from an FRS which essentially is a Subaru, I like them they just don't fit my needs with a young family.

OP
R

rodmoe

Thread Starter #17

FRS has a better front bumper [^] lol
That was one of the reason the FRS didn't work out though they have back seats they don't have room for legs after the kids start walking ;) and no power below 4k in stock form with a Auto which was fun with the rev match and sprt modes but I missed the control that 3rd pedal gives you ;) Get more torque in the Twins at lower revs and you will be a killer at the AutoX..

OP
A

ADAM@LIC

Thread Starter #18
^ nice! don't see those too often in the snow, seems a lot of guys are getting them for AutoX, like you said they just lack that torque. With some of the turbo and supercharger kits out they have more potential, but are then getting into STi price territory by the time you do all the supporting mods.

OP
R

rodmoe

Thread Starter #19
Thanks and I agree as I looked into that option and worried about how long the engine would live with enough boost to make worth while and the compression ratio ....

OP
A

ADAM@LIC

Thread Starter #20
I think you made the right choice, an aftermarket turbo kit will never last as long as a factory turbo car. Nothing against Subaru I love them, but I build motors on a daily/weekly basis with the majority of them being factory turbo motors that were either neglected , did or abused. I don't think there's too many other brands if any that have their motors out for some reason or another than Subaru. I can't complain it keeps me in business and it's how I got into it. I turbo'd my old 1998 RS which lasted for a while then it gave up. Fortunately the WRX had just come out and I was lucky enough to find a wrecked new 2002 WRX and did a motor swap along with the wiring conversion and hence a business was born. CA legal turbo motor swaps, did 25 of them and stopped many years ago as the business turned into more of a general repair and performance shop specializing in Subaru.