Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Fiesta ST Exhaust Thread

S

Sekred

As an aside, the video does not do the sound justice in any way, shape, or form. It was recorded on a $49 KMart camera. You can hardly expect it to replicate the sound in real life. I've had many, many people tell me they love the tone of my exhaust. Crackly, deep, not tinny at all, and loud enough without being obnoxious.

Now I am confused, whats the can at the front coming off the Cat?, looks like a Res. I assume there is a Hi Tech glass packed muffler relacing the original OEM muffler?.

F

Froctor

Great exhaust you have there ConST.

Would you have any pics of the stock exhaust before you had the new one done?

If not, do you know if there is a resonator on the stock exhaust that one could take off to make some sound?

I'm not ready to put on a full exhaust yet and back in my VW days, I remember guys with 5cyl rabbits taking off the resonator and leaving the stock muffler. Would give a little more sound but nothing too excessive. Very cheap to do too.

Would this be possible on our cars?

P

peoples1234

I believe stock is 2.25. The HiTech is 2.5. There isn't much point in going with anything wider as you're restricted by the turbo outlet.
The ST supplement in the manual says the stock exhaust is 2.17 inches. One of those odd sizes like most new cars have...

S

Spixelz

Since the ST is the first Turbo car I have owned, What is better, Turbo back or Cat Back?

C

ConST

Since the ST is the first Turbo car I have owned, What is better, Turbo back or Cat Back?
Unless you plan to go with a bigger turbo, there is no point in going with a full TBE. You're restricted by the turbo outlet size, so putting on a bigger downpipe will make zero difference. Other than making it louder.

I'd stick to catback.

S

Spixelz

Unless you plan to go with a bigger turbo, there is no point in going with a full TBE. You're restricted by the turbo outlet size, so putting on a bigger downpipe will make zero difference. Other than making it louder.

I'd stick to catback.
Roger that, Thanks for the info [rockon]

Mike

ConST have you done anything else to your Fiesta? Would like to see your build thread if you can create one here.

B

betterthansx

I'd stick to catback.
If you are running a tune (higher boost levels) a larger DP alone should net you something. A free flowing cat should also free up back pressure.

Correct me if I am wrong as I am from Subaru background but any turbo car it seems has the biggest gains after a DP. You will certainly run into the turbos flow limits but you will build boost sooner and have a more efficient flow.

C

ConST

If you are running a tune (higher boost levels) a larger DP alone should net you something. A free flowing cat should also free up back pressure.

Correct me if I am wrong as I am from Subaru background but any turbo car it seems has the biggest gains after a DP. You will certainly run into the turbos flow limits but you will build boost sooner and have a more efficient flow.
Not to be the bad person here, but I'm politely saying that I don't really agree. Yes, you will have increased flow in the DP itself, but the flow from the turbo outlet and the back pressure back in will be identical unless you match the outlet sizes. Increasing a pipe on one side doesn't increase the flow to it. You will still get the same volume output regardless. In actuality you may end up seeing a decrease in torque if going simply with a DP and no tune. Don't forget the O2 sensor is in the DP, so you'll trigger off a CEL when changing it. Why you also need to tune.

Yes to the free flowing cat for sure, but again, only if everything mates up size wise.

You may find that the turbo spools up a bit faster, but again, that doesn't mean you'll have any increase in power. You'll just get the same power sooner.

The biggest gains you will get will always be seen with just a tune and nothing else. That will always be the biggest jump in power output. The supporting mods will increase that number, but only a percentage of the tune increase. Personally, the biggest gains other than the tune are to be had by upgrading your fuel pump and increasing the boost. Throw more fuel into the cylinders and you'll get a very good increase.

I say this all as I've been down this road a few times already with other cars, mostly VDubs. I've dyno'd with and without a DP running the same stage tune and the numbers were identical. I know, dynos are give and take, and no two are the same, but I've had this told to me by top performance shops in Sydney (CPC, Exotic Cars). Get to know them and they'll tell you not to bother unless you're going big build. If you're Joe Schmoe walking in, of course they'll tell you to go DP as it's money in their pocket.

B

betterthansx

Not to be the bad person here, but I'm politely saying that I don't really agree. Yes, you will have increased flow in the DP itself, but the flow from the turbo outlet and the back pressure back in will be identical unless you match the outlet sizes. Increasing a pipe on one side doesn't increase the flow to it. You will still get the same volume output regardless. In actuality you may end up seeing a decrease in torque if going simply with a DP and no tune. Don't forget the O2 sensor is in the DP, so you'll trigger off a CEL when changing it. Why you also need to tune.

Yes to the free flowing cat for sure, but again, only if everything mates up size wise.

You may find that the turbo spools up a bit faster, but again, that doesn't mean you'll have any increase in power. You'll just get the same power sooner.

The biggest gains you will get will always be seen with just a tune and nothing else. That will always be the biggest jump in power output. The supporting mods will increase that number, but only a percentage of the tune increase. Personally, the biggest gains other than the tune are to be had by upgrading your fuel pump and increasing the boost. Throw more fuel into the cylinders and you'll get a very good increase.

I say this all as I've been down this road a few times already with other cars, mostly VDubs. I've dyno'd with and without a DP running the same stage tune and the numbers were identical. I know, dynos are give and take, and no two are the same, but I've had this told to me by top performance shops in Sydney (CPC, Exotic Cars). Get to know them and they'll tell you not to bother unless you're going big build. If you're Joe Schmoe walking in, of course they'll tell you to go DP as it's money in their pocket.
It all depends. The Fords seem to have little headroom left in their turbos. They throw a small snail on to have quick spool and better torque rather than have a larger sized turbo with lag.

A tune is the most important thing yes. You should never really throw an intake or exhaust on without a tune. A CB exhaust is fine but TBE would require a tune. I know VW's sometimes don't require a tune but to get the best results a tune is required. The VW Golf R for example, has a BW K04 which is known to make around 400chp at a stage 2+ configuration. They put a big turbo on and left a lot of power on the table for reliability sake.

Ford with the Focus it seems they have that little turbo already pumping pretty hard. A stage 3 Cobb configuration seems to have little power gains but decent torque boost.

Having a 3" TBE is not going to do anything for a car like the Fiesta. I would expect a 2.5" would do just fine. Turbos are all about efficiency. Throwing a TBE on it is not going to hurt anything. I would bet that you would see anywhere from 2-6% power increase. Likely on the lower side due to the size of the turbo. It will liven up the turbo a bit but most importantly in my opinion, it will increase the visceral experience. That is what this car is all about. Sure 10hp may not be a big increase, but the sound increase will make you smile more as well as make it feel like a rally car.

Same with an intake. The intake will net you a little power but nothing to write home about. The turbo sound however makes it that much more enjoyable to romp around the back roads.

If you are aiming for high HP then a bigger turbo is the way to go no doubt, but there is still something to be said for simple bolt ons. I bet when Cobb releases their stage 3 kit they will be swamped with orders.

C

ConST

Yeah I agree with you.

Also of note that at this stage, there are no tuners that have found a way around the torque limiters Ford has put in to the drivetrain on the FiST. As it stands, this 1.6L cannot produce more than 230hp/320Nm.

BTW, this is info directly from someone I know at Bluefin.