Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Windshield wiper/washer disconnect

frank_a

I bought this cherry 2011 Fiesta a few months ago with less than 30,000 miles on it. I love the car, but it is out of bumper-to-bumper warranty, and I have a weird issue with the windshield washer/wiper system.

When I pull the lever toward me to operate the rear washer, I get front windshield washer fluid, while the rear wiper goes through it's regular cycle for cleaning the window, but with no fluid. Alternatively, when I push the button at the end of the lever to wash the front windshield, I get rear window washer fluid, but the front wipers go through the wash wiping cycle.

I'm in hopes that this may just be a simple wiring thing requiring two wires to be switched on a pump and/or motor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Frank

State
MI
Country
United States
When you pull the lever towards you all the way you do activate the front wipers, pulling the lever towards halfway so that it clicks will activate the rear wiper.

I'm thinking you may need to replace the washer pump. I know this is a dumb question but you did confirm there is fluid in the reservoir correct?

OP
F

frank_a

Thread Starter #3
The action is as described above. Pulling the lever towards me is how I operate the rear wiper. There is no half-way click of any kind. I keep my wiper reservoir filled. Not keeping your reservoir filled is how folks burn out their pumps.

I talked to a mechanic buddy of mine earlier today who believes it's simply that the plugs are reversed on the two pumps. I have the day off tomorrow and will see what I can determine.

Thanks for the response, I had given up hope!

Happy New Year to all my fellow Fiesta owners. Here's hoping 2015 is a better year!

Frank

OP
F

frank_a

Thread Starter #4
What it turned out to be was the two plastic hoses on the bottom of the washer pump had to get switched. It required removing the headlight assembly to get at the windshield washer reservoir, pull it, and simply switch the hoses. Took maybe 1/2 hour to do, start to finish.

Frank

State
MI
Country
United States
What it turned out to be was the two plastic hoses on the bottom of the washer pump had to get switched. It required removing the headlight assembly to get at the windshield washer reservoir, pull it, and simply switch the hoses. Took maybe 1/2 hour to do, start to finish.

Frank
Weird how something like that would happened, glad its fixed.

OP
F

frank_a

Thread Starter #6
What I assume is that the previous owner burned out the pump and it had to be replaced when their lease was up. Whoever did it lost a few bolts/connectors in the process and no doubt did not worry about which hose went where. Yesterday it was so messy on the roads that I came home determined to fix the problem. It was much easier that I had expected!

Frank

State
MI
Country
United States
What I assume is that the previous owner burned out the pump and it had to be replaced when their lease was up. Whoever did it lost a few bolts/connectors in the process and no doubt did not worry about which hose went where. Yesterday it was so messy on the roads that I came home determined to fix the problem. It was much easier that I had expected!

Frank
Ah I see, hopefully that's the last of any hidden issues. Are you planning to do any mods?

OP
F

frank_a

Thread Starter #8
Ah I see, hopefully that's the last of any hidden issues. Are you planning to do any mods?
Not really. Bought this for cheap travel. Have a 2014 Escape, a 2001 F150 that used to be my daily driver, and a hot rod ('23T). Hot rod gets most the mods, but the F150 does too!

What sort of mods do you folks do?

Frank