Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Interview: Fiesta Movement Agent Michael Berenis

City
Houston
We had an opportunity to interview one of our favorite Fiesta Movement Agent Michael Berenis on his overall impressions of the Fiesta ST. Here's what he had to say....

1) What made you decide to be a Fiesta Movement Agent?
I've always enjoyed compact turbocharged vehicles. I come from a background in STi / Evo territory, so getting my hands on the hottest Euro turbo hatch to hit our shores was a great opportunity to learn and create content.

2) Describe in detail what was the process to becoming a Fiesta Movement Agent?
I applied to the program, created a submission video to showcase my video skills ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOWuXx1BUyo ) and then they contacted me. Upon first contact there was an interview, where they asked me questions about various things. Once I made it past that, they contacted me again and said that I was invited to the program and because of my gearhead history and web presence, I was getting an ST version.

3) As an agent, how long do you get to keep the car for? Are you allowed to purchase a vehicle after the event is over?
I get to keep the car until the end of the program, which I think is in January of 2014 or so. I'm not really sure when it is over, as ST agents started later because of production. When the program is over, I hear that the vehicle is going to be crushed because it is a preproduction car, so unfortunately I do not get to keep it. I would love to keep it, because I have resources to build it into a monster and set the standard for modifying this vehicle. I've already discussed an all-wheel drive platform with local shop VSR Motorsports. We plan on converting it, stroking the motor, and getting the Fiesta St to 500 awhp within a year. So if I do get to keep it, I'll do great things for the vehicle.

4) What requirements, tasks, and minimum missions do you have to perform to maintain your agent status?
There's one mission per month, and we have to do that before selecting a new mission. If we don't keep up with our missions , I believe they will kick us out. I'm not 100% sure though. There are a ton of agents who have fallen behind and they appear to still have the vehicle. Beyond our missions, we are suppose to create at least two posts on our social networks per week in relation to the vehicle. I've gone above and beyond, and have submitted 100's of high quality, Florida oriented photos that can be seen on my agent profile here : http://www.fiestamovement.com/agents/MichaelBerenis Many of those photos Ford is using for their facebook page, instagram account, and more.

5) What kind of incentives do you get from being a Fiesta Movement Agent?
Free insurance, gas, and admin costs are all provided to us from Ford in exchange for being an agent. Also, whenever we have a mission, it is typically covered. However, the last mission I shot at the drag strip, I had to pay out of pocket because they wouldn't take the issued credit card. Drag strips dont' give out reciepts, so I was never reimbursed. I had to bite a $50 bullet on that one, and I also spent another $75 out of pocket for my first mission where I dyno / top speed tested the vehicle. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaOuBXSD12Q . We also have to pay out of pocket for tolls, food, etc unless we get it approved before hand. But who really knows how much tolls will be? Sometimes it isn't worth the hassle to get money back for going out of my way to create content for this program. So far, I've spent roughly $500 of my own money putting miles on the car, paying for tolls, and doing missions.

6) What were your impressions after seeing the Fiesta ST for the first time?
When I picked up my car, I shot a POV video of that very moment. It was pretty cool. They flew us to Nashville, put us up in a nice hotel, and then booked Nashville Superspeedway for the day for us to get acquainted with the vehicle. I captured the whole day in a video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9G9xfjl1HE ) and it was pretty cool. The first thing we did was a street racing style drag race and brake competition, where I got to compete against other agents. I won :) Next, we had training from Ford's pro driver instructor on reaction time and emergency braking. I won that too. It was a pretty good day. I got to pick up a preproduction car, and lay a can of whoop ass on other agents. The best part is that one of the other agents in this competition was a pro rally driver; winning against her was awesome. Not to blow my own horn, but I'm a pretty damn good driver ;) Speaking of which, in my second mission I raced another pro rally driver at Sebring and ran a 1:26 setting the lap record for the model ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISV2Gs6xhTA ) . The pro driver ran 1:29. Ford Racing - I'm knocking on your door. Let me in.

7) What were your impressions sitting in the Fiesta ST for the first time?
It was awesome. If you can think of the perfect blend of sports car and daily driver, this is it. The interior has some of most snug, comfortable recaro seats I've ever sat in. Evo and STi's could learn a thing or two from the Fiesta ST's interior. Beyond the seats, the interior technology is awesome. I love the big navigation / media display, XMSirius radio, and voice controlled everything. It even has voice command HVAC. How cool is that? And for when you have ladies or kids in the car, the LED mood lighting is a favorite feature. They really get a kick out of it. The two front seats are heated, and it comes on QUICK. It is very warm too. It is well laid out and very ergonomic thanks to Ford's design process.

8) How do you like the Fiesta ST’s sound system and infotainment? Any problems or issues?
It sound amazing. For those audiophiles out there, this is a great setup and all it needs is a bigger subwoofer to complete the lower frequencies. Mids and highs are crystal clear and distortion free. Voice command takes a little getting use to, but once you learn the commands and the system adapts to your voice it is pretty much seamless. One cool thing I enjoy about it is that I can change the wallpaper background to anything I want. I modified mine to have my Boostaholics logo (a monkey "riding" a turbo lol) and it looks awesome.

9) How does the six-speed transmission perform compared to other cars you’ve driven?
It has a getrag tranny in it, so it is bulletproof. I've beaten the piss out of it, slammed gears, and even did a rev limit dump ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq7RNbJEyh4 ) and it just keeps taking it like a champ. No issues yet after 10,000 miles of pure hell. I look at it like this; this car is designed to be sold in the compact import hatchback market. I've been around plenty of those guys, and we all know Honda's and vdubs love doing rev limiter dumps. If we want to sell them this car, we need to prove it can take abuse. It sure can! I've been able to speed shift, flatfoot, and clutch dump the piss out of it and it just keeps going. So to me, that tells me that for those who take care of their transmission, with a clutch upgrade of course, it should be able to take any amount of mods you throw at it. I wouldn't be surprised if it holds every bit of 600 fwhp with a clutch upgrade. This is a big issue too, because in the STi/Evo world upgrading gears is almost a most. Not so much for the evo, but the WRX / STi guys always have to spend thousands to get PPG gears or something like that. Thanks to Ford using a Getrag tranny ( same company who made the bulletproof Supra tranny that takes 1000+ rwhp), there is no need because you already have the best of the best. Beyond reliability, the six speed is also geared perfectly for either daily driving or racing. When you need that low end torque to move through traffic, the gears and power curve of the motor are always ready. For racing, I didn't have to go past fourth in the quarter, and while running sebring it was all third and fourth gear. Fourth tops out around 110 mph - 115ish. A quick first and second gear pull puts you perfectly at 60-65 mph so its great for hauling ass on public roads without speeding too bad. When passing at 55-60 mph, drop it into fourth and the power is there all the way through the pass. Its great. The shifter is smooth and very rewarding. I'd say what I love most about this car is the gearbox. It is literally perfect.

10) Does the Fiesta ST deliver good engine performance?
On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 10. Think about it like this; 21 psi and 10.5:1 compression without a 93 octane requirement. What does that tell you? Forged internals, plain and simple. There's no way this engine could run that high of compression and boost without a built bottom end. For a 1.6 liter, this thing is a rocketship!! It also gets great fuel economy. Even with me hooning out and dusting traffic at every intersection, i'm still averaging 30 mpg in 90*F florida heat.

11) How well does the braking system perform?
The braking system is absolutely incredible. After driving this car for a couple of months and leaving my evo at home, I had to upgrade the evo brakes so I didn't feel like i was going out of control. I went to stop at a yellow light in my evo and I was like "WTF? Are you going to stop?" LOL! The ST's braking system is superb, and as far as racing is considered, you can really brake late going into the corners. When I did my hot lap challenge at sebring ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlWb7DV-8ms ) , i was amazed at how late I could brake going into the hairpin. If you watch that video, you'll see the hairpin turn by the Chateau. Watch for how late I brake when I do my final lap run. Entering that corner i'm deep at the top of fourth, which is 110-115. I slow down at the last second, hit third, and rip through the corner. Late braking is how you set good times, and this car can definitely do it. Funny side story - while I was running my practice laps, I took six hot laps in a row without a pit. I'm talking full on racing here, and the car took it like a champ. When I came into the pits, my brakes where so hot that they were literally on fire. I wasn't running the camera at the time, but I had to jump back in the car and take a cool down lap. Did the rotors warp? Not one bit. Crack or fracture? Nope! I did glaze the pads though lol. But even under this extreme punishment, none of the car's systems failed. That's a big thing at sebring, and it separates the men from the mice. This car is a man for sure, because I beat the snot out of it, set a record lap time, and nothing when wrong. Still giving it daily beatings 5,000 miles later without any hiccups.

12) How is suspension set up? Do you feel it’s too stiff for daily driving?
Its kind of like the three bears; it is just right. It is stiff enough for racing, but not so stiff that you can't daily drive it. I take my family on road trips with this car and we never complain. That being said, Florida has absolutely beautiful roads so that might not apply to other places. The suspension is there when you need it, and not when you don't. The damper rate is set perfectly. I wish my evo had as good of suspension as this, and the Fiesta ST has me looking at a set of BC coilovers to keep up.

13) How is the quality of the interior fit and finish? Did you experience any excessive engine or road noise inside the cabin?
The interior quality is amazing. I actually have been leaving the car sit outside in the hot florida sun since I brought it home just to test it. I have been to Ford's research facilities and I know how they design these cars. The interior components are made from green materials; ie recycled bottles, jeans, soy products etc. They are also designed to decompose and not stick around on earth for 100's of years once removed and put into a junk yard type situation. One may think that would hinder the interior quality and road noise, but it does not. Road noise is minimal. I'm able to hold conversations at 85 mph on the interstate without any problem. I'm able to hear rear passengers without questioning their every statement. All the materials that the driver touches are engineered into the driving experience; for example, the shift knob has a nice cold alloy feel in the palm but with smooth warm leather on your fingers. The steering wheel is soft enough to not blister your hands but sticky enough for racing. The buttons are all smooth and firm to the touch, with a nice tactile feedback to let you know once theyve been pressed. Also, I've done the "cleaner" test; you know, wipe down the interior buttons with a cleaning wipe to see if the white paint rubs off. Sure enough, it does not. I don't see any issues with interior holding up over the years. Also, after 10,000 miles of abuse, my 6'0 200lb ass hasn't destroyed the drivers seat or shown any sign of wear. I also pack a pistol b/c i have my carry license and it hasn't ripped or destroyed the seat either. I've had that problem with other cars before. For those of you who care, the center console is perfect for a XDM 9mm 3.8 and a couple extra clips lol ;) I've had a mechanic sit in the passenger seat and get grime all over it; with some armorall clean wipes, it came right off and you can't even tell. The interior is amazing, I dont' have any doubts it will give 100% service for many years to come.

14) Did you experience any problems that required you to visit a dealer for repairs?
Not a single problem, or sign that there will be any in the near future. Everything on this car is built extremely well, I don't see any hint or clue of major issues that would cause me to hangout at a dealer's service lobby.

15) How are the seats? Do they wear well? Are they comfortable on long trips? What about for larger people?
The seats are great, and they haven't shown any signs of wear yet. They are extremely comfortable on long trips for both front and rear passengers, and the heated front seats make it all that much more sweeter. I'm at 6'0 and I don't put the seat all the way back, so I'd say there's plenty of room for large people. I've had some pretty fat dudes sit in the car and even they say it is comfy. Plenty of headroom too.

16) Would you recommend the Recaro seats?
If you can afford it, do it. It makes the interior all that much better, and they are needed in my opinion so the ST doesn't throw you all over the place once you start cutting up corners. If not, you can always stick with the stockers and swap them out at a later date for recaro's or aftermarket seats. The way this car makes you confident, I'm sure there will be plenty of them getting wrecked by fast and furious kids once they saturate the market.

17) Please list 5-10 things you like most about the Fiesta ST.
I love the fact I can beat the piss out of it, race through traffic, and not worry about it breaking. The engine is potent enough to be quick, but still a fuel miser so I don't get a big bill at the end of the day for my heavy foot. The exterior design with the envy green paint screams for attention, but in a good way. The front end is very aggressive, and it is quite popular with the ladies. 10.5:1 compression and 21 pounds of boost, HELLO! That means any mods you do will greatly amplify the power output. The stock exhaust note is a nice subtle growl, and the boost comes on very quick. The overall driving experience is probably the best i've had in a long time just because it is so quick, reliable, good on gas, and there is always power no matter where you are on the tach or gearbox. For those wanting a bigger turbo, there's plenty of room for a nice pineapple between the motor and firewall. The stock FMIC is pretty big, and high quality, but there is room in the front grille between the radiator and bumper beam to put a +3" FMIC. The ECU is flashable and should be tuneable by opensource once somebody cracks the encryption.

18) Please list 5-10 things you like least about the Fiesta ST.
I do not like the lack of turbo sound. You can't really hear it at all, but with some mods from Ford racing that shouldn't be an issue. The BOV design sucks because it is built into the compressor housing so it won't be an easy swap to get that "Psshhh" sound we all love with turbo cars. Also, the exhaust manifold is built into the head, so if you want to have a nice big turbo on there, you'll have to settle with the stock manifold and an adapter. Turbo location isn't exactly ideal either, as it will suffer from the SRT4 affect and get quite a bit of heatsoak. The turbo is really small too, I think they should have gone bigger. FWD is great, but AWD is always better. Everyone that I've showed this car is disappointed when they find out it is just FWD. I even had one guy say "If this was AWD, I'd sell my STi right now and go buy one." While the ECU is tunable, you need an encription key from Bosche everytime you change something. I'm sure someone will figure out a way around it, but it isn't going to be easy. If they wanted this to make the tuner crowd happy, they could have learned from STi / Evo and left it open source tunable with a tactrix cable.

19) If you were in the market for a compact car, would you purchase a Fiesta ST?
I'm selling my fully built evo ix so I can buy one when the program is over. So yes, I would purchase one.

20) Did the Fiesta ST meet all your expectations?
It went above and beyond my expectations. Just think of it like this; imagine the most perfect hatchback. Now add the quality, design, and engineering you need for racing and performance punishment. Mix in a little bit of fuel economy and green ideology; you have the Fiesta ST. It is the perfect blend of racecar tuner platform and fuel miser.

21) How would you rate the overall experience of ownership?
It has been great so far. No complaints whatsoever. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a ten b/c of all the things mentioned above.

22) Would you recommend a Fiesta ST to others?
Every day I recommend people to buy this car, and it isn't just because I'm drinking ford's kool aid. I can honestly say this is a great buy for anyone who wants to get into the tuner world. Reliable, stylish, good on gas, fast, and very rewarding in both corners, straights, and on gravel / sand. I've had this car out at my buddy's ranch and have been at 90+ mph through long corners on sand / lime gravel. It performed flawlessly. Plenty of clearance, great traction, and very predictable.

23) Any comments or advice you would like to offer to a new Fiesta ST owner?
Don't kill yourself because this car will get you to the edge insanely fast. It is predictable and very stable at speed, but I can see how owning a vehicle like this can shorten your life expectancy lol. Also, be prepared for speeding tickets :) Not saying this car isn't safe for new drivers, but if Mom and Dad want to buy one for their kid, make sure you use the smartkey feature and limit them to 70 mph b/c this car just keeps pulling, and pulling, and pulling......

PS. I'm one of the few agents who actually reports on the vehicle itself, and doesn't just post a bunch of self pics. Follow me. I'm putting this car what it is meant to go through :)

Agent profile - > http://www.fiestamovement.com/agents/MichaelBerenis

Videos:
Bikini car wash:
[video=youtube;olQJfVm0tto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQJfVm0tto[/video]

Sebring lap record:
[video=youtube;ISV2Gs6xhTA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISV2Gs6xhTA[/video]

Sebring experience:
[video=youtube;hlWb7DV-8ms]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlWb7DV-8ms[/video]

Stuck at Daytona:
[video=youtube;KVDcf6QlbKc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVDcf6QlbKc[/video]

2x Fiesta ST Clutch dumps, burnouts, and launching:
[video=youtube;Cq7RNbJEyh4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq7RNbJEyh4[/video]